Sign in to follow this  
steve R

E46 330i hard start when warm

Just after some info if anyone else with a 330i has run into this issue, The car will be looked at next week but just wanting to know what i am in for.

When the car is cold it starts fine, After driving and starting again within half an hour the car starts fine. If i leave the car for 1-2 hours it becomes difficult to start.

When this issue occurs, the temperature gauge will go all the way to the red when the key is turned to position 2, or it will not move at all (even though the car is still warm) if i try to start the car it will crank 3-4 times before it will start, it will sputter into life and will need throttle to start, when this happens, the EML light on the dash will be on. if i wait for the gauge to move to the correct position (30seconds- couple of minutes) i will then be able to start the car.

Pervious maintenance that has been carried out in the last couple years include fuel pump, thermostat and housing, cooling system hoses, air mass meter, PCV, dipstick breather, camshaft speed sensor (this was 5 years ago though)

Any insights into what the issue might be?

Edited by Mobbin

I would guess at temp sensor Steve. Needs to be scanned first though. Who services your car now ??

Just got it a couple of weeks ago so haven't had it done yet, but ill call an book it in soon

Just realised.... new car :P