Sign in to follow this  
petone

My Current Project

Hi all, I though I'd start this thread as I'm pulling quite a lot of parts out of my car and replacing them so I'm probably going to have a few questions. Also since I'm finally correcting my hideous rear camber it might help a few others if they decide to do it.

Anyway, my new bits including...

Ireland Engineering camber and toe kits

Powerflex Control arm bushes

IE Subframe and Trailing arm bushes

New Tierods and rack ends

Lower rear spings

325i swaybar (coming)

I'm doing the front end stuff first then I'll pull the subframe, which should be interesting after 250000km and a small crash.

First question... Whats the easiest way to press in the powerflex CABs? Is there a trick to it or just line them up and stick em in a press? Would a vice be okay to use?

And, how do you tell if a control arm ball joint is stuffed. I pulled my control arm out to replace some torn boots and the middle ball joint is really loose. No noticable play but it is really loose.

pic of new bits

post-6-1131955607.jpg

Edited by petone

Guest Andrew

you need some endlings for the rear sway bar I am giving you + the mounting points to the chassis if you don't already have a sway bar in there.

I got everything back together and into the car apart from a inner control arm ball joint which I'll press in tomoro. There wasn't enough clearance for the trailing arm bolts with the IE subframe bushes so they bushes had to be "modified", even after hacking part of it off there is still only just enough room to get the nut in there.

I lubed everything up with shitloads of grease and no squeaking yet but I don't know how long it will stay like that for. It will be interesting to see how well it stays in adjustment for, I'm getting it all aligned on Monday so I won't drive it till then as I know it will be pretty bad. I'll probably just get it set to factory specs and see how that goes.

I don't plan I dropping the rear subframe for a while, what a f**king mission. So much stuff has to come out and I dropped it all as one piece as was too lazy to do take apart stuff I didn't need to. I also had to put it all back in as a complete piece as there was no way I could line up the trailing arm bolts with no space. also had to bash up part of the floor pan so the camber plates would fit.

Anyway I'll go for a decent drive on monday after my W/A and post up the verdict.

Went for a decent drive today and its all made a hell of a difference, especially in the rear. The rear wheels actually follow the front now instead of wandering off on their own. The whole car just feels way more planted. Also my shuddering under braking is gone as well now. Only thing left to do is bigger front sway and upgrade the front shocks to match the ones in the rear. I recommend the rear subframe bushings most off all but even the powerflex CABs are good, we only paid $90NZ for a pair including freight so they are really worth it as well. The car is a bit harsher over cateyes etc but not as bad as I was expecting, no squeaking either.

Edited by petone

You could help me out.. on not a huge budget but im doing it next year anyway, what is some good advice on parts etc and getting new suspension for me??

I have stock ( i think ) struts, and standard springs which are compressed, the springs im sure bottom out all the time causing wear on the inner gaurd and so im thinking about getting custm made ones, i want it to be as low as it is now .... 100mm on the limit, and want new shocks..

Thanks as i have no idea about suspension

Oh where can i get front swaybars, and how hard is it to fit a 325 rear one?!

THANKS!!

All depends on what you want to do with the car and how much you want to spend

Just buy off the shelf springs like kings, jamex, whiteline etc. They vary in height from 20mm lower to 80mm, but I wouldn't go any lower than 60mm, even that is probably a bit too much. Shocks have been covered heaps, have a search.

Heaps of bigger sways available from the states but you get raped on freight. I know SAS can get bigger swaybars in. I dont know who else supplies them in NZ. 325i bars bolt straight in, you just need endlinks and brackets with d-bushes.