Sign in to follow this  
kiwitouring

New user - 528 threw both belts!

Hi there,

I picked up a 1999 528 Touring a couple of weeks ago, Jap import, 149k kms. I had a 330d before (in the UK) and love the 5 series straight 6.

However, in the 13 days I've had it...

1) it over heated (OBC "Coolant Temp" warning) and went into limp mode - I pulled over, switched it off for a bit and then started up and drove home all ok. Didnt use or lose any water - still full in there, no milky white under the oil filler cap. Unlocked KTMP on the instrument cluster, it seems to run 95-100 on the highway and up to 115 in traffic before AUX fan comes alive and cools things down.

AND...

2) on the way home last night, after a brisk bit of uphill driving, it threw both belts! I didnt realise what had happened initially, I had the battery light come on inside, engine still had power, but I had lost power steering. So I pulled over (about 300m further down the road in a safe place), and by this time the temperature gauge was rising - but never hit the red. I didnt have KTMP showing at the time. Under the bonnet - easy to see, my belts NOT on any of the pulleys, but instead all wrapped around the main fan and dangling below. :banghead:

How do the belts just slip off like this?! I have a receipt showing the previous owner had both belts, water pump, thermostat and a coolant change all changed and done just 6 months (4000kms) ago.

I had it towed back to the same garage that did this work and am waiting to see what they say.

What am I looking at here... 2 belts, new pulleys / idlers / tensioners? Something failed and gone stiff enough to jolt the belt off?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Kiwitouring

One belt coming off cam take the other with it quite easily.

Can come.off due to breaking. Lack of tension or a pulley not being inline. Check all pullys including the main one are solid with no slop

pulley bearings stuffed , seized etc , slack tensioners etc etc .