Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

e39 water pump failure or symptoms?!

Hey guys, thought i had a leak from the thermostat housing so replaced the o-ring and rubber gasket (as they were due anyway) took it for a drive and came home to discover it still leaking coolant (constant dripping) behind the belt drive, after quite a bit of searching i found the location from somewhere around the waterpump. Does this sound like waterpump failure, or does anyone have any other suggestion? TIA

Sounds like a waterpump leak to me. Have a look from under the car. Is it dripping onto the belt directly below the water pump location? Assuming you've already ruled out the thermostat being the issue since you replaced the o-ring and gasket - but make sure it's not leaking out of the sensor area on the thermostat either - mine used to do that (though that is easier to check as it's more noticeable).

My waterpump drips coolant once every now and then and it falls directly onto the belt under it. Has your's ever been replaced? Possible that it still has the crappy plastic impeller ones that crack, in which case you should replace it.

I'm no mechanic, but just giving my 2c based on my experiences with my e39. ;-)

Well I've seen both the v8's and i6's need new water pumps for leaks/bearing collapse quite often so if it's in that area then yeah go for it!

Sounds like a waterpump leak to me. Have a look from under the car. Is it dripping onto the belt directly below the water pump location? Assuming you've already ruled out the thermostat being the issue since you replaced the o-ring and gasket - but make sure it's not leaking out of the sensor area on the thermostat either - mine used to do that (though that is easier to check as it's more noticeable).

My waterpump drips coolant once every now and then and it falls directly onto the belt under it. Has your's ever been replaced? Possible that it still has the crappy plastic impeller ones that crack, in which case you should replace it.

I'm no mechanic, but just giving my 2c based on my experiences with my e39. ;-)

Well I've seen both the v8's and i6's need new water pumps for leaks/bearing collapse quite often so if it's in that area then yeah go for it!

It doesn't seem to be dripping on the belt but more behind it, the car has a pretty good service history but no record of the waterpump being replaced so i'm going to do it anyway but just in case it could be something else was checking suggestions ;)

Hmmm nothing else it can really come from, but if I were you I'd be doing water pump, t.stat and new alloy housing just for piece of mind. About $200 all up from Miland plus bmw coolant and distilled water

Cheers bro, thermostat and alloy housing all ready done and ordered a metal impeller pump from Paul yesterday ;)