Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

crunching the gears ?

is it healthy to change gears quickly at 6000rpm in an older car like this? i mean a pretty quick shift? Its only from 2nd to 3rd and i dont rev it hard much but when i do there is a slight crunch? Old car not built for it??

Hmmm drove a friend's facelift s14 silvia today dam i want one now :angry:

Edited by nz320i

8000rpm is where its at paul. hah, ur probably better to change before 6 grand because im guessing it would make its best power before that.

8000 mmm i wish. maybe its a mis matched clutch as i didnt use a proper alignment tool but im sure we got its dam well centered oh well its not so bad i mean you have be revving it a ot to get it to do it.

i would think sparks you know very well the ol m30 hits the limiter at 6500.....lotsa action from 3500 too 5500 tho

im not so sure about best power before 6000rpm, its all fun after 4000rpm and was told the cam has been replaced in my car before i owned it but i am sure its not a nice cam or anything seems like a standard engine to me..

8000rpm is where its at paul. hah, ur probably better to change before 6 grand because im guessing it would make its best power before that.

Na, M20 pulls hard to redline, 2.5 at least. I will admit that going to the redline in my barge up the Rimutukas is a waste of time though.

Maybe you aren't sticking it in 3rd. I've grinded the gears by hitting the spot between 1 and 3, but I reckon 2-3 gear change to be one of the best (not notchy like 1-2 or 4-5).

Either the syncros or release bearing are rooted or your not getting the full throw out of the slave cylinder because it or the master cylinder is on it's way out :(

the master cylinder is brand new, not oem thought, was 95 dollars from BNT, slave is 2nd hands, so is release bearing..hmm also can someone tell me if i want to change to short shift or just replace the bushes in the shifter linkage (next year) can it be done without pulling the getrag out???? thanks

BNT cylinders are all good

Short shift won't solve anything you need to replace the knuckle that connects the shift linkage to teh box as they ALWAYS wear out and cause massive slop.