Sign in to follow this  
JSG

BMW E61 Key Fob Battery Issues

Hi

I have a E61 without comfort access, and pre LCI. From all the videos I can see only the LCI key fob has a easy access battery fob tab that you can replace, but the key fob I have does not have this. I therefore assume its using the induction charging. My issue is that I think the battery is fading, as the distance I need to be to the car to lock or unlock is becoming less and less. I only have the one key too as its an import. I have yet to go to a dealer to ask, as I am sure they will say to get a new fob or set of key fobs, and I just wanted to see if anyone out there knew anything about it, before I go in and have to remortgage for a set of keys.

Cheers - JSG

I had the same thing with my 2nd key (pre lci e60, diamond key). I wasn't able to find any diy solution beyond cutting it open and replacing the battery :/ I haven't looked any further into it but am hoping someone may know something as well?

Thats the keys i mentioned above, that has the easy access tab, which is unlike the key fob I have, which is frustrating.

Looks like I will have to pop into the dealer and see what they think ...... not looking forward to that.

Take a few minutes to pull off the rear spoiler and check the condition of the circuit board inside. That is where the receiver is for the remote. In infinite BMW wisdom it is in a poorly sealed box that lets in water, causing corrosion. It's called the diversity antenna.

Easy to get to, undo four screws from under glass hatch then slide spoiler rearwards.

Also the wiring to the diversity antenna through the boot hinges breaks, limiting range of the remote. All E61's suffer broken wires eventually.

This aspect of E61 design is total crap.