Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

Head gasket install sealant

Nearly ready to put the head back on the M54, reading through the Bentley manual tells me to apply 3Bond 1209 to the joints where the timing chain cover meets the block.

Where can this sealant be acquired from? Is there anything else suitable that can be used in its place? Is it 100% necessary?

Yes, needed 100%...it forms a gasket seal between mating surfaces. Usually any brand name FIPG silicone RTV designed for use as a gasket in a high temperature environment will be just fine. Just be aware that there are rare instances where a non-acetic curing FIPG is needed - I think 3Bond is non-acetic so maybe it must be used in your case. NZ Gaskets in Avondale are the agents for 3Bond products and can advise an equivalent if necessary.

Thanks for the response.

It appears Permatex Ultra Grey is an acceptable substitute, Hondabond HT is DreiBond so hopefully the Honda dealership in Pukekohe will have some. NZ Gaskets are a bit of a drive from here, I ideally need the head back on by Monday so permatex / hondagoo look to be my options

Permatex usually available from Supercheap IIRC, so the Ultra Grey (sounds like a description of my haircolour!) should not be too much of a mission to track down.

Gah! Got a tube of Ultra Black instead of Ultra Grey. Only after opening the packet do you see the bit where it says 'not suitable for head gaskets'

Sigh :( Back to Pukekohe. Again :(

it's in the catalogue at supercheap http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Permatex-Ultra-Grey-RTV-Silicone-Gasket-Maker-Rigid-High-Torque-99G.aspx?pid=5359#Recommendations

maybe there's a supercheap branch close to 'rednecksville', so you don't have to go to Pukekohe? Given I'm south of the Bombays, where's rednecksville anyway - is it Henderson?

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

it's in the catalogue at supercheap http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Permatex-Ultra-Grey-RTV-Silicone-Gasket-Maker-Rigid-High-Torque-99G.aspx?pid=5359#Recommendations

maybe there's a supercheap branch close to 'rednecksville', so you don't have to go to Pukekohe? Given I'm south of the Bombays, where's rednecksville anyway - is it Henderson?

I'm about 20 km west of Puke (only just north of the Bombays), not that far but bloody annoying to have to make the trip when you only need one thing! Picked up the ulta black from there, will probably have to go tomorrow. Was in a rush when I went the first time (late for a family gathering, screaming toddler and impatient wifey in car etc etc etc)

These things are sent to try us I guess!

The black you have purchased will work fine. It is only intended to be put at the front of the head gasket to ensure a seal between the head and the aluminium timing chain cover upper face, not on the block itself.

The black you have purchased will work fine. It is only intended to be put at the front of the head gasket to ensure a seal between the head and the aluminium timing chain cover upper face, not on the block itself.

Good to know. I've grabbed a tube of the ultra grey to be 100% safe, but what's the difference between the rtv grades? I understand that the acetic acid used in some rtvs will erode the gasket, but what's the distinction between the silicones that don't have acetic as a curing agent?

I figured the learning curve would be steep given this is my first attempt at a job like this, didn't think it would be this tricky though!