Sign in to follow this  
T.N.R

New member and E34 Owner

Hello BMW enthusiasts, I just joined bimmersport and thought I would introduce my BMW's.

My daily driver is a 1996 E36 323i, nothing special other than it being a really clean original car:

DSC_0118_zps678b0a25.jpg

The car I really enjoy owning though is my NZ new 1995 E34 520i, factory manual (I know: how the hell does one enjoy a 2L 5 series?). I have had the car for about a year and a half now and pretty quickly realized that E34's are for me.

Here are some recent pics:

IMG_1098_zps618bc1fe.jpg

IMG_1100_zpsc20ab0f9.jpg

It is rough at the moment no doubt, but its a work in progress and will be for some time. In fact I'm actually in the middle of doing an engine swap. I'm replacing the M50b20 with a latter M52B28. It doesn't even have the 2L anymore:

IMG_1433_zpsf8btqedu.jpg

Anyway maybe that's too much for the intro but it gives you some idea I guess.

By the way I recently started photography as a hobby so if your interested feel free to check out my Flickr (link in signature below). I have few more pics of my car there.

Edited by T.N.R
  • Like 5

Welcome.

You will learn loads here, I know I do, which means you will save loads from this site. There are E34 and E36 owners and enthusiasts galore on here.

Like you I had an E36, but a 328i and loved it to bits, learnt heaps, changed heaps, but found the E34 just..I dunno, more desirable in an old school way. Went from 2.5, 3.0 to 4.0. But I love my E34 in a way I didn't with the E36. The E36 was a better car in most ways, I cant put a finger on it, but I think its because I could forgive the shortcomings of the E34 more than the E36 maybe. It didn't help that the interior of the E36 collapsed around me like a deck of cards.

Thank you for the welcome.

I'm not a 100% sure either but my guess is that the E34 (like many other older BMW's) has these slight oddities or quirks which make it feel a little more unique than a lot of newer BMW's, which are amazing cars but they just feel a bit more normal. I suppose maybe I'm just a fan of BMW's 70's - 90's design style. It also helps that E34's aren't as abundant as E36's, E46's etc.

Anyway I'll stop before I annoy too many newer bimmer owners.

yeah E34 are very good cars.

Most 520i end up engine swapped sooner or later, mine more than doubled in size.

• Like 1

yeah E34 are very good cars.

Most 520i end up engine swapped sooner or later, mine more than doubled in size.

Yeah, I've seen your build thread somewhere I think, amazing work. If it sounds anything like some of the V12 E34's on YouTube it must have been worth it for the sound alone.

Some nice photos on your Flickr. Plenty of photo nuts (me included) who would be more than happy to share and discuss. What gear are you using?

I like the shot of your 520 interior lit by afternoon/morning sunlight. And the shot of the pier out to the ocean

• Like 1

Some nice photos on your Flickr. Plenty of photo nuts (me included) who would be more than happy to share and discuss. What gear are you using?

I like the shot of your 520 interior lit by afternoon/morning sunlight. And the shot of the pier out to the ocean

Thank you. Nice to know there are other BMW enthusiasts who also have an interest in photography on this forum. My gear is all very beginner spec. My parents bought a Nikon in the mid 2000's for when we went to the South Island the first time. In the last year I kind of re-discovered the camera which was sitting unused and started learning how to take photos with the manual mode, it's amazing what you can do with even such a basic DSLR.

I'd really appreciate any tips or even opinions on shooting cars or whatever.

Gear:

- Nikon D40x (bought around 2005 iirc)

- 18-55mm DX lens that came with the camera.

- Some cheap old tripod for night photography.

By the way do you have a Flickr or anything?

Edited by T.N.R
  • Like 1