Sign in to follow this  
Lemieux_66

E39 Fan Clutch & Camshaft sensor

Hi guys,

Looking for one of these that is functioning properly. Just picked up a 2000 540i the other day and it sounds like a jet taking off on low rpm so just want that sound to go away.

Also my INPA shows a camshaft sensor fault, so if someones got one of those aswell that would be sweet,

Im in Grey Lynn so Auckland pickup would be awesome so let me know what prices you want.

Cheers.

Good on you. In regards to the fan clutch before you change it check with bmw. They are all making this noise in the m62tu engines. Maybe no need to change it.

Good on you. In regards to the fan clutch before you change it check with bmw. They are all making this noise in the m62tu engines. Maybe no need to change it.

Cheers mate, I tried the "cardboard test" and almost lost my hand in the process! So looks like the fan clutch is stuck engaged/sticking (the fan should be able to stop spinning on a cold engine with a thick bit of paper/cardboard and only engange when it's hot)

Got a PM from Brent and got some prices so will be picking up tomorrow.

The cardboard test is a crock to be fair though.

When started dead cold, it should whirl around for a little bit, then free up. When it's REALLY hot (so it's engaged), it should eat a newspaper (assuming you don't destroy the fan)

When engaged on a V8 due to temps, it should howl as you accellerate from a stop, but should free up very quickly (as air is pushed into the front of the car). It's only designed to be engaged when there is little airflow into the front of the car, though the V* ones are far more enthusiast about engaging than the 6 cylinder ones.

If it's whirling around, howling ALL the time, be VERY careful driving it, as the fans can explode causing a shitload of damage!

Would any of you guys have the fan clutch tool I could borrow to sort this out?

I've got teh 32mm spanner but not this.

BMW_Water_Pump_Pulley_Holder_Removal_Fan