Sign in to follow this  
slybma

My E36 Slow build

Well i must have fallen and hit my head cause ive decided to do this again.

I bought a cheap E36 325i coupe that someone had let the rego lapse and had been parked doing nothing for three years so i trailered it home from the Manawatu and got stuck in.

2ed1o3r.jpg

When i got the car home found that it had a dead fuel pump. Got it running with a new one and found the vanos to be rattliung away so thats on the to do list. Checked over the car for the re-vin check all that was needed was new brakes all round, two tyres and the wing mirror i collect the garage door with. $300 later it was back in the sytem.

Now that its got its WOF, the work continues. Replaced the rear brakes with a vented rear disc setup, and had a 330 brake setup left over from my e30 build with some slotted rotors so they went on. Also still have a Z3 rack left lying around so thatll go in soon.

Auto box got the boot and got a Getrag swap with an LSD diff swap.

Quite a noticable size and weight difference

xqjt42.jpg

The plan is to cage it and give it some track day abuse so the interior got the bin. Ill need to remove the airbags and abs as i wont be needing those.

15xtnbc.jpg

Was sitting too high so coilovers will get in sitting where id like it.

Before

2ryj67d.jpg

After

5jzn1j.jpg

2zf016w.jpg

Painted the tail lights to hide the ugly cracks that where starting to show.

Not a big fan of the wheels bit small and offsets a bit high so decided some 5 or 7 series wheels would do the trick.

Decided on some style 94s off an E65 735i which are 18x8 in a 24p front and rear.

2ptncls.jpg

2vlqgbo.jpg

Guard clearance is a bit... well there's none so they'll need a small bit of work to avoid rubbing.

Bumpers will get swapped for motorsports when i get around to painting them.

I have a T3/T4 turbo setup that i cant decide if i should put on, as the original plan was to go down the V8 route. So until i can decide which way to go ill leave it.

Will update when i can be bothered doing anymore work

Edited by Slybma
  • Like 4

Good work man. I'm doing something similar. How was the re-vin process?

Good work man. I'm doing something similar. How was the re-vin process?

Was pretty straight foreward, same as a wof check but they measure the brakes to make sure they are in spec and need to see the mounting points for the seatbelts so you just need to remove the interior. Inspectors are making good money on it they only had my car an hour and the inspection fee was $300.

You mainly track use too? I started doing some drift days so bought the e36 as parts are a little easier to come by, was getting risky in the e30

• Like 1

Yea ill be doing mostly track racing, but wouldn't mind having it street legal to for targa. Be keen to see yours finished too

Ya poor cars going to get some abuse. Will stay road legal also just need to decide which engine set up to go with then itll come apart