Sign in to follow this  
louistan3

Peugeot 206 any good? Problems?

Hi guys,

Just thought i'd ask around if anyone has any experience with these cars? I know this isnt a peugeot forum but thought i should ask anyway.

Looking at buying one for my partner and they look decent.

Any problems i need to look out for? Are they good cars? I know peugeots people have mentioned there are some good ones but this one is stock standard, nothing fancy.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention looking at the early 2000s model.

The single cam engines get leaky head gaskets and water pumps. Also the autos can give valve body issues other wise pretty good cars

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Just thought i'd ask around if anyone has any experience with these cars? I know this isnt a peugeot forum but thought i should ask anyway.

Looking at buying one for my partner and they look decent.

Any problems i need to look out for? Are they good cars? I know peugeots people have mentioned there are some good ones but this one is stock standard, nothing fancy.

Thanks.

I bought a Peugeot 206GTI (2001) for my wife to commute in. We've had it over 12 months and its done almost 200kms. It's rattly and chews a bit of oil but seems to be really reliable. I have only had a windscreen wiper problem and a fan heater problem, both of which were not worth worrying about. These cars have an issue where if the battery terminals are loose the car runs like crap so once I had that sorted it has been a good runner. Keep an eye out for the larger horsepower model if you are buying a GTI.

@slybma - are the leaks much more than any other car or same chances?

@haitoman - i saw an xr model. Whats the advantage of a gti? I guess this is mainly for daily so not a big deal if its not quick. More important is that its reliable so i was thinking along the lines of getting the more reliable engine type.

head gasket will normally just leak a bit of oil normally along the front which will tend to fall on the exhaust manifold giving of that lovely oil burning smell, worst case which I only ever saw twice it would leak on to the cambelt causing the belt to go soft and break but that was extreme cases of neglect. Water pumps aren't any worse than normal cars they can get a bit noisey but never seemed to collapse

Thanks @slybma. Any model types i should watch out for? L

twin cam engines are a good option go really well in a little car but if you get a single cam the head gasket is only like a two hour job so all a pretty good option

Edited by Slybma

Thanks again @slybma will watch out for em

I have recently sold my 1999 206 GTi, had it for approx 7 years, never let me down. No more issues than I would expect from a Corolla !

Awesome wee car to drive, corners like its on rails :)

Mine had done 175ks when sold it, still going strong and looking modern.

My flatmate has the WRC spec 206 GTI. It has the roof scoop and body kit etc - its a relatively rare model.

He may be selling it before long. If you're interested let me know

Hired a new 206 5 door manual 1.4 in Italy way back. Was a great runabout and did about 1500 kms of driving. Used very little gas, was roomy for the size was quite nimble . Had no issue with constant 140 kmh - 170 kmh driving on autostrada and came into its own twisty back roads. Had no issues but being new I wouldn't have expected any .

Small engined versions would make a great comuting car.