Sign in to follow this  
kiwipetrolhead

Mag Wheels - suggestions please

Hi there,

I am going to replace my 540i's metric wheels with standard imperial 17" wheels, and with 235/45x17 tyres seems the way to go. The cost of Dunlop metrics is around $450 each, so you see the point of replacing them.

235/45x17 tyres just fit into the spare wheel well. I'm going to get a set of 5.

Any suggestions of a good replacement mag wheel (in 17")? 16" would be OK too, whilst 18" is too big (won't fit into the spare wheel well).

At this stage I had been looking at getting the R624 model wheel made by "Ruotecompany Replica" (yes, that's correct spelling) at around $300 each (see www.bgworldwheels.co.nz), but yesterday I saw a 3-series with a very nice set of wheels on it. They are "HP Design" brand, but I can't find any NZ supplier for this brand. Anyone know where they can be sourced, or any other god options to suit my '94 540i? I don't like full chrome wheels, but some chrome is ok.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul :wacko:

M5 style is cool but you have to have hte kit to go with it, my suggestion would be to try get something that was original if your not going to do the whole M5' replica look. Something that gives your car its own style rather than doing half of the motorsport look.

Maybe something like this R643 [97] or the BBS equivilent

Posted Image

Edited by E30stz

A few months back BG Marketing was having a sale on some BBS mags. They may have some RX's left in 17"x8" (and maybe some other styles and sizes). Cost would be around $1400 all up for four 17" wheels through Herb Morgan Tyres. Add around $1000 for good 235/45x17 tyres (Bridgestone, Pirelli, etc).

BBS CH's would also look quite mean on an E34. If the price is not much different I would definitely go for a good brand such as BBS as the engineering and quality will be far superior to the Ruotecompany replica wheels.

Rod

The R643 shown above is a copy of the BBS RX. Price may be about the same.

Those Beyern Mesh wheels look real nice. Just keep in mind that they have a machined lip (which most likely has a thin clear powdercoated finish) and that means that you would have to keep them religiously clean to avoid "worms", but they do look pretty mean.

I have 17"x8.5" ET15 wheels with 235/45x17 tyres on my E28, therefore you should be able to something significantly wider into an E34. Keep in mind that different tyres of the same nominal size may have different actual measured tread widths. For example the tread width on some Pirellis is about one inch wider than the equivalent Brigestone.

Rod

...whilst 18" is too big (won't fit into the spare wheel well)...

They will if they are the same OD, which they should be to keep the speedo correct.

Thats why you go to lower profile tyres on bigger wheels.

The Beyern mesh in a 18x8.5" front with 235/40's and the 18x9.5" rear with 265/35's would be the business.

E34-535ti's car has the same size tyres and the ride is amazing, not harsh at all but still crisp.

Guys,

Thanks for all your responses. I guess I am being a bit pedantic, but aren't we all! I have to get 'em, so might as well get what will look the best for this car that suits my budget.

E30stz,

Ruotecompany Replica's R643 [97] is OK, but it only fits 3-series. Well, that's what all three local retailers have told me, and the hardcopy catalogue I have only specifies 3-series too. But I do like them. I don't really like the R634 much.

Munkvy,

The Beyern Mesh is not bad (and will fit a 5 it seems), and it looks like it might be a very similar style to Ruotecompany Replica's R643 [97] that E30stz mentioned (and which won't fit a 5). It comes in "Chrome, Silver/Machine Lip" - I assume that means there's two finish options - "Chrome" or "Silver with Machine Lip". The chrome one looks nice in the hardcopy catalogue I have, but I've never seen a full-chrome wheel in real life that I actually like. So I'm a bit doubtful. None of the local retailers have BG World Wheel stuff in stock for some weird reason. I note your comments about the Machine Lip... cleanliness and "worms" (Rod) - I like to keep my car clean, but sometimes I don't have time. So thanks for that tip.

Rod,

They only appear to have the RX2 model now. They are fine, but in 21" only, way too big. And they don't fit a 5 anyways. The only BBS for a 5 is the CH (it seems), but I don't like them. The range for 5 series does appear to be lacking somewhat. Lots of options for 3's though.

martyyn,

M-Pars - quite nice mate, but yip, where do you get 'em! In fact, they look very similar to the "HP Design" wheels I saw on a 3 yesterday except the HP Design had 10 x pairs of parallel spokes (instead of 5 like in your pic) PLUS they had them studs that make them look like a 2-piece rim. They looked very cool. You have the correct model 5 too I see, except mine is black... well almost, it's sort of very dark green/blue.

E30-323ti,

I know what you mean about keeping the Speedo correct. The original metric mags are roughly equivalent to about 15 and 3/4" (I think) and have 230/60 x 380mm tyres (I think I have the size quoted correctly here). The worn out tyres measure out at about 620mm in diameter and the boot's wheel-well looks like it can take up to about 650mm. I have tried a low profile 18" in the shop and nope, no way will it be able to be forced in, even when flat. The shop had some very nice 18" KOYA wheels I was tempted with - INOX 2 model (see www.koyawheels.com), but they only come in 18", 19" and 20", and a set of 4 in 18" differed in width front to rear (they imported sets into NZ like that I'm told). Also, I want to get a set of 5 wheels, not 4, and keep the sizes the same front to rear, since that's how they come from the factory and so tyre rotation and swapping around does not become an issue.

I might price up a set of Beyern Mesh, maybe in chrome, but I'd have to seem them in real life first. Otherwise, if I can find where to get them nice HP Design wheels from (or them M-Pars)...

BTW, tyres...

What's your thoughts on:

Nangkang (Directional)

Yokohama (non-Directional)

Toyo (Directional)

Dunlop

Goodyear (non-Directional)

Directional Nangkang tyres seems to be the best priced so far (ex Mag and Turbo) and the guy there claims they are a good all-round tyre, but Mag and Turbo seem to be the dearest for the wheels (for Ruotecompany Replica's R624 [91] Shadow Chrome). Actually, I should point out that all three retailers I've been to have recommended these R624 [91] - I guess because the range for 5-series is quite limited. But I haven't seen one in real life, so I don’t know… They are quite cheap though and I think they look OK, but it's not an M5 I have, so… Also, Ruotecompany have one for 5-series called R631 which I can get for only $950 for a set of 4 (the cheapest I know of), but I think I like the R624 [91] lots more, for not much more money.

Thanks guys, and more thoughts welcome and appreciated.

Paul :thumb:

Check the signature.

Turbine II's

Flying pigs, hen's teeth, turbine II's.

All from the same shop aye cain.

If only.

kiwipetrolhead:

The staggered 18" tyre setup I mentioned is what came on the last of the E34 M5's with 18x8 & 9" M-parallel's like Martyns.

And you could just go with 18x8.5" and 235/40's all round if you dount like the staggered idea.

You can always keep one of the metric's or pick up 1 15/16/17" wheel off trademe to use as a spare, as long as the OD is roughly the same it only needs to get you to the tyre shop.

Pic. 265/35 R18 rear

post-8-1133488662.jpg

Edited by E30-323ti

E30-323ti,

Thanks, I admit that I do like the idea of 18's but this car is mainly used for trips, like our annual hoildays - we load the car up, so if we got a puncture on the Desert Road we'd have no where to put the flatty. And I don't really like the idea of spending my money only to have to leave a near-new wheel lying on the side of the road for some other bugger to help himself to. You know how it is, when you drop your toast the butter side is always on the floor. :)

P

No problem Paul. I won't take offence. They came with the car, why put something heavier on it? If it was good enough for the M5... easy to clean too.

The 17x8 on the front and 17x9 on the rear is a great combination on the E34, obviously you end up with staggered sizes though.

Mine are 235/45/17 on 17x8 all round. I think that the 17x9 is a 255/40/17. Brent can correct me as he has this on one of his E34's.

Cain,

235/45/17 on 17x8 all round is really what I am looking at doing, just like yours are.

Your wheels would not have stopped me buying that car of yours, and I would keep them too. But since I'm starting fresh I want to get something I'll be satisfied with. Having said that, to replace these wheels and tyres is not a lot more than the cost of just the tyres if I stayed with the metrics. So in the long term new wheels will save many $!

P

what the......what year is your car,93 or 94?Why did BMw spec metric wheels on NZ cars?????My 1990 registered 535 had netric wheels(my spare is metric)I would have thought 540 would have had imperial .I was going to suggest a non staggered set up makes it easier for rotation replacement if all tyres are the same.Here is a lnk to a e 34 site ,note that (as glen says) that as you go up in whel size the tyre dia stays the same meaning the profile gets lower.!7s are prolly more common but if you are really worried about availability in kerikeri on news years day 16s might be better.E34s look really good with 17 or 18 in wheels and slightly lowered imho

Some tips from a fellow e 34 owner.Get to know a GOOD tyre shop,e34 are very sensitive to tyre suspension wheel anomolies.If you get an aftermarketset of wheels they will almost certainly have a 74mm hub dia whereas the e34 has a 72.5 mm hub.you need hubcentric rings(thats what the yanks call em) to ensure your new wheels go onto the centre.Its only 3/4 of a mm offset but you will wonder what the hell is happening at 90 km hr if you dont get the rings.......the standard offset for the e34 is 20mm...oh and welcome

Guest 535E28

I was faced with the same dilemma recently on the e28, so i scrapped the metrics and switched over the whole lot. My rims came from a 96 540i, and required hubcentric rings. 16inch with 225/ 50's all round. I got these on trade me for $300 and they are mint. I have seen other sets the same for sale around this price, and hubcentric rings were $80 for the set.

post-8-1133528245.jpg

Munkvy,

The Beyern Mesh is not bad (and will fit a 5 it seems), and it looks like it might be a very similar style to Ruotecompany Replica's R643 [97] that E30stz mentioned (and which won't fit a 5). It comes in "Chrome, Silver/Machine Lip" - I assume that means there's two finish options - "Chrome" or "Silver with Machine Lip". The chrome one looks nice in the hardcopy catalogue I have, but I've never seen a full-chrome wheel in real life that I actually like. So I'm a bit doubtful. None of the local retailers have BG World Wheel stuff in stock for some weird reason. I note your comments about the Machine Lip... cleanliness and "worms" (Rod) - I like to keep my car clean, but sometimes I don't have time. So thanks for that tip.

I might price up a set of Beyern Mesh, maybe in chrome, but I'd have to seem them in real life first. Otherwise, if I can find where to get them nice HP Design wheels from (or them M-Pars)...

BTW, tyres...

What's your thoughts on:

Nangkang (Directional)

Yokohama (non-Directional)

Toyo (Directional)

Dunlop

Goodyear (non-Directional)

Directional Nangkang tyres seems to be the best priced so far (ex Mag and Turbo) and the guy there claims they are a good all-round tyre, but Mag and Turbo seem to be the dearest for the wheels (for Ruotecompany Replica's R624 [91] Shadow Chrome). Actually, I should point out that all three retailers I've been to have recommended these R624 [91] - I guess because the range for 5-series is quite limited. But I haven't seen one in real life, so I don’t know… They are quite cheap though and I think they look OK, but it's not an M5 I have, so… Also, Ruotecompany have one for 5-series called R631 which I can get for only $950 for a set of 4 (the cheapest I know of), but I think I like the R624 [91] lots more, for not much more money.

Thanks guys, and more thoughts welcome and appreciated.

Paul :thumb:

with regards to tyres, Bridgestone S03s are known to not last long, but have awesome grip.

I used to have Nankang NS1s on my R32, and they are a*se, average grip in a straight line in the dry, cr*p round corners in the dry tho, and just plain terrible in the wet (80km/hr, put your foot down on a straight and look at the footpath!). NS1s seem to be the cheap Mag and Turbo option, (my car came with rims bought at Mag and Turbo, hence the tyres), NS2s are apparently much better gripwise and longevity is still not too bad, but thats only based on others comments, not bothered with them myself.

Ive used GSD3s and in the wet and dry and gravel, just fantastic, couldnt comment on longevity, which I dont think would be great, due to how well they stick!

Another popular option is Toyo T1-S's, great tyre as well, although not wonderful shoulders, reasonable longevity if your not abusive and good grip, esp in the wet.

hope that helps.

Also, E30-323ti, those rims, Im guessing they are factory fitament? (Im relatively new to bimmers sorry, Im assuming they are either a 5 or 7 series rim?), is there anything similar to them that anyone has seen in 4 stud, ie a replica that could fit an E30?

Posted Image

i dont think they are bmw that car would have come with metric rims too my GUESS is schnitzer replias.I think you can get those type for threes as well.3 series wheels have a different offset than 567 and 8 rims which are mostly interchangeable between 567 and 8(not to mention the 5 stud layout ton the latter

Posted Image

i dont think they are bmw that car would have come with metric rims too my GUESS is schnitzer replias.I think you can get those type for threes as well.3 series wheels have a different offset than 567 and 8 rims which are mostly interchangeable between 567 and 8(not to mention the 5 stud layout ton the latter

True, any clues on where I could find some, as cant afford the whole car (ie a 540) at this stage, so putting a set that are similar on the e30 would have to do for the moment... :)

hey paul.....not very helpful wheelwise, but i subscribe to kiwipetrolheads...top work! keep it up

hey paul.....not very helpful wheelwise, but i subscribe to kiwipetrolheads...top work! keep it up

Thanks Gus, it certainly keeps me busy. Good to hear people appreciate all my effort running it. I'd like to see more contribution and general chat from members tho. Feel free to start a thread if you feel the need.

BTW, I am working on a DVD that I will hopefully have to give away for free to KPH members sometime next year.

Paul

what the......what year is your car,93 or 94?Why did BMw spec metric wheels on NZ cars?????My 1990 registered 535 had netric wheels(my spare is metric)I would have thought 540 would have had imperial .I was going to suggest a non staggered set up makes it easier for rotation replacement if all tyres are the same.Here is a lnk to a e 34 site ,note that (as glen says) that as you go up in whel size the tyre dia stays the same meaning the profile gets lower.!7s are prolly more common but if you are really worried about availability in kerikeri on news years day 16s might be better.E34s look really good with 17 or 18 in wheels and slightly lowered imho

Some tips from a fellow e 34 owner.Get to know a GOOD tyre shop,e34 are very sensitive to tyre suspension wheel anomolies.If you get an aftermarketset of wheels they will almost certainly have a 74mm hub dia whereas the e34 has a 72.5 mm hub.you need  hubcentric rings(thats what the yanks call em) to ensure your new wheels go onto the centre.Its only 3/4 of a mm offset but you will wonder what the hell is happening at 90 km hr if you dont get the rings.......the standard offset for the e34 is 20mm...oh and welcome

It's '94, and NZ new too! They must've changed to imperial wheels for the 'new' model - 96 onwards - I guess. But I don't see you think they'd have metrics on 89-95 353 (and lower), but imperial on 540i's.

When I get the new wheels, if there's a problem I'll take 'em back. I'll go out onto the highway to test them as soon as I leave the shop.

On tyres, thanks for the suggestions (those who responded). Seems Toyo might be a good way to go (and I was thinking of going that way before I asked). The current worn Dunlops can be spun up in the semi-wet at 80-90Ks and with the Traction Control ON... so I discovered when I went to pass a Falcon the other week! :mellow:

Paul