Sign in to follow this  
Federation12

E46 Steering rack leak

Hey team,

Had two new front tyres put on this morning by the local tyre place, got a call about an hour later telling me the steering rack is leaking pretty heavily and one of the ball joints has a lot of play.

Quoted $1000 to fix both, but I thought I'd have a crack myself. It's mainly the steering rack I need to pick your brains about.

1. Is it okay to buy a second hand rack? The new ones are way too expensive, also reconditioning, is that worth it?

2. If buying second hand is the go - where's the best place? Bmworld? Hellbm?
3. A little bit of research brings up people wanting to swap in z3 racks or even motorsport racks. Is it worth it? It's a 320 sedan but if it benefits it enough I could be keen.

4. I'm planning on replacing all the hoses and reservoir, is there anything else worth doing while its off? In regards to a second hand rack is there anything I should be doing to that?

5. Finally how easy are these to install? I haven't been under the car to have a look yet but considering the lack of guides I'm assuming it's either near impossible or incredibly easy.

Thanks in advance for any answers I get, definitely something I only want to do the once and I definitely want to get it right.

Edit: Sorry mods Just noticed this is probably better in the steering forum, move if needed :)

Edited by Lewi9

Standard rack replacement/oil leaks sorted $300 @ Hellbm. Includes low k rack.

Your rack is probably not leaking, I bet it's a connecting hose but that's a different discussion. To answer your questions:

1. 100% okay - contact one of our forum sponsors - you should pay between $200 and $350 depending on the type of rack you need.

2. Any of our sponsors, the two you've mentioned will almost certainly be able to help out.

3. Don't do this. For a start you'll pay $750 for that rack in NZ (used). If you don't already have one an E46 "sports" rack will be an upgrade ($350, Hell BM has a few I believe). But this might not be what you want/need for a 320 - if you don't have a problem with your existing steering feel then swap like for like, you may save some $. Z3 = $750, E46 Sport = $350, E46 standard should be ~$200 or less, probably $150.

4. Well I'd do that before you replace the rack. It will probably solve your problem. I've just had all of this done and there are some special steps you need to take, I'll describe those later.

5. It's not difficult if you're handy under a car and can get the car elevated. Without a separate oil cooler (or is yours an auto?) there's lots of access space. But of course it's messy because ATF goes everywhere and you need to protect all of your belts (wrap them in cling wrap before you start).

BUT - I'd set all of that aside and first determine exactly where the leak is coming from. You may be able to solve that with a new hose clamp and buy yourself as much time as you need to research this properly and get the result you want. These racks rarely leak.

Start from the reservoir the top (may need to remove airbox) and clean all of the area and the top of the hoses (under the reservoir) and as far down as you can reach.

Lift the car and place on jack stands, get under and remove any covers you need to and clean all p/s pipes, soft and hard, clean the boots etc, etc. Dry everything.

Drive round for a few days and then take another look and determine where the leak is.

Post back here and let us know, then we can discuss practical options.

Thanks for the detailed response! Seems like the best course of action by a long shot. Will do some investegating and post back, although Ray's deal is looking pretty promising!

Cheers!

Edit: I did think the rack leaking was a bit of a long shot from what I've seen of the rack. If I get the day to myself tomorrow I'll have some more info

Edited by Lewi9