Sign in to follow this  
E30SIX

Service Requirements

Hi guys

New member to the forum, however have been reading through the topics for the last few months doing a bit of research prior to the purchase of my E36 328i.

Just wondering how often you guys service your bmw, for example every 5-10,000k's and when you do subject to repairs what is a rough inidication of a service price from a reliable mechanic.

I am a wee bit confused about the service step requirements for the E36. I have read about a 5 step service process or something which appears on the onboard computer ( not sure if my bmw falls into this areas as it's still in japan). I think it warns you that say step 2 is due which will mean specific things should be replaced or looked at to maintain the reliabilty and life of the car. Is this true?

Would I be better of buying a service manual which will cover such questions as I sure have a few....

ok you have been a bit confused by us....the on board computer indicates the service requirements.When the car has been serviced and the indicators reset there will be 5 lights green lights showing which will disapear one by one over the next few months.It is dependent on how you drive your car,but my services fall about 12000 k.The service schedule goes oil service ,inspection 1, oil service,inspection 2 oil service ,inspection1,etc etc.Some cars also indicate an annual inspection which is a reminder to change engine coolant and brake fluid and may have something to do with annual safety inspections in other countries.........oil service prolly couple hundred inspection 2 several hundred insp 1 somewhere in between

How often to service is all relative. I do mine every 10000km, even when the service indicator (SI) lights has 2 left. Just for the peace of mind.

If you do mostly highway, you can get away with 15000km I'd say.

Just as Kiwi535 said, they goes like OilService -> Inspect 1 -> OilService -> 1st Inspection 2 -> OilService -> Inspect 1 -> OilService -> 2nd Inspection 2 and repeat. This cycle covers around almost half the lifetime of the car.

I did my Oil Service + some exhaust welding work at BMWorkshop for just under $250 last week.

Thanks guys, I was very confused by the sounds of it.

So basically a oil serivce falls due around 10,000k, next 10k you will have a service 1 due, next 10k back to oil service, last 10k service 2. After this the cycle starts over again.

Edited by E30SIX

Oil servicing depends on the oil, if you're using fully synthetic oil like bmw does then the oil servicing intervals are further apart, 15k for instance

I tend to do my oil changes at 10k intervals (whenever the car reaches a 10k mark - 50k, 60k, 70k etc as a self-reminder). However, many people have told me I'm wasting my money and should only change when the car tells me its time... my manual says 15k intervals, so I might go with that.

Perhaps once a year would do - when I pay my redo - change my oil.

Edited by Jazzbass