Sign in to follow this  
benpaul12

Removing & cleaning DISA

Hey everyone,

Been doing a bit of research to find out my idle issues, it's not severe or getting to the point where I worry it is stalling, it just has a slight up and down in slow/stopped traffic. Anywho, I found some info on the idle control valve, and then I found out the N52 engine does not have this part, it has the DISA instead, two mechanically controlled plastic flaps on both sides of the engine.

So, my question is, has anyone on here removed this and cleaned it? Similar to the process of cleaning the ICV. The M54 had these parts too.

I did find a guide online for a Z4: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=36349

Seems like something I'd like to give a good go and clean to try and resolve this issue...

Pic14.jpg

Edited by benpaul12

On the M54, it only changes the intake from a long path to a short path (kind of) to aid either low end torque, or high end power. It shouldn't affect the idle stability (on an M54)

They can cause vacuum leaks however! They were known to disintegrate and the metal pin from the end, and some plastic parts lunched a few engines over the years!

For the N52, I have no clue, having never worked on one.

There are a number of intake cleaner you can spray into the intake when running - I've used Wurth system cleaner on a number of cars - the jap ones always blew PILES of smoke as the oil residue washed through and was burnt. On our E39, and VW Touran, I got NOTHING, no smoke at all - I assume because of the complex oil breather systems actually working!

Interesting. Yeah, everyone talked about idle resolution with the ICV, but not really with the DISA.

f**k, going to have to take it in for some trial and error expensive fixing probably!