Sign in to follow this  
Guest MP0wer

Hi Velocity Costs?

Guest MP0wer

Can anybody give me a ballpark how much is Gavin charging for a tune up these days? Heard his new shop is open but I cant get a hold of him, ever. Was thinking to remap it myself with the help of a UK based guy who does them, I just have to grab some leads for $50 to connect to a laptop then alter my tune overall around $500 or so.

I know it wont be as good as a Dyno tune but Gavin being in Auckland and being hard to reach, may be be good alternative considering the price?

Edited by MP0wer

I suggest that you don't use a 'plug and play' chip.

Some people have had experiences here where they have lost power in doing so.

a dyno tune is definitely the best idea. The amount of time on the dyno, combined with the tuners time, and any potential ecu modifications, will see you at maybe 1000-1200$$.

There are other facilities and workshops which can offer a dyno tune and the same services if you can't get hold of Gavin. The times I have called him, he has been fairly responsive. From the last time I spoke to him, he was setting up his new shop and getting his dyno gear out of storage.

• Like 1

Guest MP0wer

I suggest that you don't use a 'plug and play' chip.

Some people have had experiences here where they have lost power in doing so.

a dyno tune is definitely the best idea. The amount of time on the dyno, combined with the tuners time, and any potential ecu modifications, will see you at maybe 1000-1200$$.

There are other facilities and workshops which can offer a dyno tune and the same services if you can't get hold of Gavin. The times I have called him, he has been fairly responsive. From the last time I spoke to him, he was setting up his new shop and getting his dyno gear out of storage.

I haven't personally heard from Gavin, whenever I call him or have somebody call him up, it never gets through, I was pretty sure he had set up his shop last month, but who knows.

Only M50's can be Chipped, and those chipping unless done from a good source may aswell cause harm than good.

My M52B28 ECU will need to be flashed through the OBD to USB INPA K+CAN Interface to a PC/Laptop. Then you simply download the map, send it off and guy works with you to tune it up best he can and then you upload it back to your system as well as make real time changes. I am a novice at it but think may be doable. Just curious what others think while I get my $20 connection hardware from ebay (yea yea laugh your ass off). :D

My UK CHIP lost me power!!

before and after dynos proved that.

I had by M3 dynoed tuned my gavin 2 weeks ago.

Keep trying, unless he you havnt paid your last bill :)

and yes $1k ish, gets you a basic tune i think.

Edited by Beeker2

My E30 M3 was also on Gavin's dyno a few weeks ago. Cost simply depends on how long he needs to spend on it to get it right. Glad I waited untill he was back up and running again....patience paid off :-)

Where did he eventually set his dyno up? i believe the last time I spoke to him, he was using dyno time at a place out west ..

I believe he is back in Parity Place in Glenfield, round the corner from where he used to be, close to Slater Fabrication.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top