Sign in to follow this  
pgnuta

What's current in terms of diagnostics?

Hi all,

Firstly a disclaimer, I've done a lot of searching and a fair bit of reading about the various options available and I know that there is a bit of info on here and the wider internet about it but I'm no closer to understanding what is actually practical and still relevant these days.

I've got a generic Bluetooth code reader, an elm327, but I think I need something more bmw specific to help me diagnose my misfire issue.

I've seen a few things out there, some require serial ports, some just USB. All require windows XP I think.

Some also seem to require a 20 pin adapter for some reason. It might just be for older cars? I have a 1999 e39 540i so don't know if I need one of those.

If anyone with any recent real world experience could give me some guidance as to the best thing so I can avoid being ripped off by some dodgy international vendors then that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Firstly a disclaimer, I've done a lot of searching and a fair bit of reading about the various options available and I know that there is a bit of info on here and the wider internet about it but I'm no closer to understanding what is actually practical and still relevant these days.

I've got a generic Bluetooth code reader, an elm327, but I think I need something more bmw specific to help me diagnose my misfire issue.

I've seen a few things out there, some require serial ports, some just USB. All require windows XP I think.

Some also seem to require a 20 pin adapter for some reason. It might just be for older cars? I have a 1999 e39 540i so don't know if I need one of those.

If anyone with any recent real world experience could give me some guidance as to the best thing so I can avoid being ripped off by some dodgy international vendors then that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.eobdfacile.android&hl=en

I use it with a Bluetooth ELM327 clone on my e46 m3 and it works an absolute treat for reading and clearing codes. Not cheap but a goodie. if you want an OBD logger then I recommend DashCommand which also works with the BT obd2 dongle.

I've downloaded and tried that app. It gives me the same generic 'cylinder 2 misfire' code that other free apps gave me with my bluetooth ELM327. Is the paid version of this app any better or any more specific do you know?

You will find probably find that " inpa" software will be the best software for the price .. Ie it's free. Google for a site to download it.. Install it on a xp pc is best..

You will need a Usb obd2 cable and and adaptor to use with your "older" round diagnostic plug under the bonnet. These are cheap, just make sure it will work with inpa.

The software will be perfect for working out your problem. It is very powerful tool once you work out how to use it.. It's pretty straight forward...

Or find someone with it already setup on a pc so you can use it.. Let people know your location.. There may be someone local etc..

Good luck..

I've downloaded and tried that app. It gives me the same generic 'cylinder 2 misfire' code that other free apps gave me with my bluetooth ELM327. Is the paid version of this app any better or any more specific do you know?

I only recommend this app as it works with e46 M3 which is known to have some real issues with some apps. I have the paid version which allows you to clear codes.

I only recommend this app as it works with e46 M3 which is known to have some real issues with some apps. I have the paid version which allows you to clear codes.

Sweet, thanks for the advice! I had been using this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pnn.obdcardoctor&hl=en up until now and it does generic codes with ELM327 bluetooth adapters and the free version will clear codes too.