Sign in to follow this  
OP6

E46 Coupe door unlock problem

2001 import 330CI, had the drivers door card and door handle off to repaint the door. Reassembled and door opened and shut as you would expect. Locked the car with the remote, door locked. Hit the unlock button and the door locked clicked as usual and the door knob popped up as usual. However the door stays locked. Tried the key manually, lock turned and knob pops up but the door stays locked. Next tried the unlock/lock button on the centre consol, same result, knob pops up, but the door stays locked. Does not open using the inside door handle either, even if you pull it twice. The passengers door does not unlock and the button stays down, (was like this before this drama) the boot and fuel flap both unlock. I can get into the car by rolling down the windows on the key, reach in and pull the passengers door pull twice. Help!!!

Cheers Don

Either the internal handle or the external handle are not returning properly to allow the lock mechanism to disengage. You might have to remove seats to get the door trim off to find the fault and get the door opened. Next time actuate lock and unlock systems with the door open before closing the door in the door frame.... good luck. These problems are always mind testing... had a similar issue a few weeks ago with an X5

You could be right there Glenn, I put the door handles etc back in, it was the first time I have done it, so anything could have gone wrong! Once the door opened and shut and the handles seemed to be working fine I was happy, never gave the locking mechanism a thought.

Cheers for the advice.

Glenn wins again! pulled the door card off - not too difficult with the door locked - checked the operation of the lock mechanism, now working fine, checked half a dozen times, still working as it should and then door card back on and been great since.

So thanks again Glenn.