Sign in to follow this  
dirty36

LSD DIFF FOR E36 325I

How much do these go for? I'm interested in buying one.

Edited by dirty36

MIGHT BE WORTH GIVING ME A CALL TO TALK OVER RATIOS ETC. GEOFF 021 449 242

MIGHT BE WORTH GIVING ME A CALL TO TALK OVER RATIOS ETC. GEOFF 021 449 242

How much would you be wanting for an lsd diff? Anyway the diff in my 325i right now has the ratio of 3.45.

Budget around a thousand, depending on condition. More if it's been professionally overhauled - new clutch discs, oil etc etc

Budget around a thousand, depending on condition. More if it's been professionally overhauled - new clutch discs, oil etc etc

There is an m3 lsd with 85,000kms for $900 on trademe.

If it is the Sport Evo if you buy it then make sure you get the cradle that goes with it

Yup, and it's large case (210mm) type too. Will go into other E36s IF you have the right diff carrier and half shafts. Not 100% sure but I wouldn't be surprised if you needed a slightly shorter driveshaft too as the snout lengths are different. Definitely not plug and play.

Edit: To OP, Geoff often has them available, also try SilverFox as he is known to bring them in from the US from time to time. No idea if he has any at the moment. HellBM, Brent, Mosen, SD European are all worth a try too, but it probably won't be the cheapest of exercises. Good luck!

Edited by Ahmedsinc

Yup, and it's large case (210mm) type too. Will go into other E36s IF you have the right diff carrier and half shafts. Not 100% sure but I wouldn't be surprised if you needed a slightly shorter driveshaft too as the snout lengths are different. Definitely not plug and play.

Edit: To OP, Geoff often has them available, also try SilverFox as he is known to bring them in from the US from time to time. No idea if he has any at the moment. HellBM, Brent, Mosen, SD European are all worth a try too, but it probably won't be the cheapest of exercises. Good luck!

Cheers for that. They are a bit more than I had expected will need to save a few more $$$ before going down the lsd road. I has hoping for second hand ones to be around $500 haha.

Cheers for that. They are a bit more than I had expected will need to save a few more $$$ before going down the lsd road. I has hoping for second hand ones to be around $500 haha.

I got ridiculously lucky and scored a good used LS centre for $350, but it was very much Jonny on the spot!

Swapped the internals and reset lash etc myself, still spent over $700 by the time I redid the friction discs, oil etc. Would have cost more if I had to buy the dial gauges instead of borrowing them.

Major downside with large case diffs is the extra parasitic loss from using the larger final drive. Far better to stay with the 180mm unless you're planning on running over 450hp through it.

Auto or manual?

I got ridiculously lucky and scored a good used LS centre for $350, but it was very much Jonny on the spot!

Swapped the internals and reset lash etc myself, still spent over $700 by the time I redid the friction discs, oil etc. Would have cost more if I had to buy the dial gauges instead of borrowing them.

Major downside with large case diffs is the extra parasitic loss from using the larger final drive. Far better to stay with the 180mm unless you're planning on running over 450hp through it.

Auto or manual?

It's a manual and nah don't plan on going over 450hp, Just want to make it handle very well. $700 for a rebuilt lsd is still pretty good.

It's a manual and nah don't plan on going over 450hp, Just want to make it handle very well. $700 for a rebuilt lsd is still pretty good.

Just the internals and doing all the work myself though. Used a 3.15 I had already. Still lusting after a set of 3.23 gears though!

Just the internals and doing all the work myself though. Used a 3.15 I had already. Still lusting after a set of 3.23 gears though!

I have a spare 3.15 diff lying around, replacing the internals could be an option! although I have no idea how to reset lash nothing a youtube vid can't fix.