Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

Plastic welding

I have ripped my front valance on my E39 by driving over one of those bits of wood in a carpark, then ripping it when backing out. Its torn in two places about 160mm apart.

Has anyone used plastic welding for anything similar?

Is it OK?

Any idea of price - I guess they have to repain the whole part also?

Note - it won't be an insurance job - I'll be paying for it myself.

plastic welding is good. i used it exensively on my motorbike. It had at least 6 craks, big and small. I reiforced it relly well. Didn't fail until the bike hit the ground at 80km/h. It is cheap. depends where you get it done tho. my panels were about $130 and were full of cracks (this price was ready 2 paint). It's a pretty cheap fix. I'd do it again if i'd had 2. Ask around, don't stop at the first place.

that's my 2 cents worth

If the crack/split isn't to bad, you could try a Kayak repair kit. They are like 'candles' that melt into the hole/crack and then just sand/rasp back.

Worth a crack if PB'ers or plastic welders quote an excessive price.

I popped into PAG on the way home and the guy said they didn't do plastic repairs and sent me off to MPR anyway.

Never mind - they've got my bumper now and it'll all be jake by Friday - although my car looks munted without a front bit... turns out it had been repaired before, in the same place, but the guy had only welded on the inside of the bumper, instead of both sides, so it wasn't that strong. He was probably trying to save on painting costs, they think.

I'm getting it done right this time and that way I'll be happy. :D

yeah if you look under the front of most E39's that valance is cracked/ peeled forward from reversing over things... some are shocking and still people dont fix them....

yeah if you look under the front of most E39's that valance is cracked/ peeled forward from reversing over things... some are shocking and still people dont fix them....

I can't believe the state some people let their car get into. There's a 2 year old BMW compact here at work where the front bumper has been hit a few times (obviously needs parking lessons), the front number plate all crunched etc, but he's never bothered to have it fixed. It would drive me mad. I know its only a car, but it has to be as good as possible for me.

I guess we're all different...