Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

E30 niggles

Recently picked up a tidy little '85 318i as a runabout whilst Pigpen is getting a heart transplant. The E30 has a few gremlins of its own, most of which I just can't be bothered trawling through the mountains of online misinformation to find out the root cause - so I thought I'd ask here :ph34r:

The fuel gauge does its own wibbley wobbly thing regardless of how much dinosaur juice is in the tank - likely causes / fixes?

Ditto with the temp gauge - I know the thermostat is poked but the needle does seem to randomly jerk about on occasion. Causes / fixes?

Drivers side foglight is non-functioning. Replaced bulb and fuses but no luck. What else should I be investigating?

Same thing with the interior lights. Fuses and bulbs replaced but no light.

I figure that given the number of E30 devotees around the place some other poor sod will have fixed the same on their car.

Cheers! :)

Fuel/temp gauge: check the grounding nut on the cluster is tight, change the SI batteries.

Lights not working: Clean the bulb contacts / trace the wires see if there is any damage or shorts.

• Like 1