Sign in to follow this  
Mack10

E39 540i Coolant Leak Under Inlet Manifold

Hi guys

I've been losing coolant at about 250ml per fortnight for a few months without being able to find where it was going... I finally spotted a little bit of coolant at the rear of the engine under the inlet manifold. From looking at diagrams I think it'd probably one of the two pipes that run under there from the water pump.

Does anyone here have experience with this? Do these pipes crack or is it likely just one of the orings that's leaking?

Cheers

Edited by Mack10

It'll be the pipes or the valley plate. Also check the hoses going up to the throttle body

Ok I'll have a look around the throttle body. What's involved if it's the valley plate? Is that just another gasket?

Cheers

The manifold needs to come off and the valley plate seal is a part of the plate. It's a bit involved to do and other parts may need replacing at the same time ie: water pump, pipes seals, thermostat, manifold gaskets, injector seals, PCV valve while your in there

Thanks Glenn, waterpump and thermostat are done. Maybe I'll do the PCV diaphragm while I'm in there then.

I'd pressure test it first to determine the exact position of the leak before stripping though. Half the job is diagnosing the actual fault first.

Heck ! 250mm is along drip......!

Long drips have often been terminal... try Google :P