Sign in to follow this  
WarlockNZ

Touch Screen in Dash :)

OK .. here's the story .. lol

I've been looking around for a replacement head unit and thought to myself ..

dude, your a computer tech, slam a PC in there damn it.

So, i'm going to have a look at a plan for a PC based sound system.

I'm sure it's been done before, so in the interest of learning from other peoples mistakes, can anyone offer any advice??

I'm looking at replacing the current head unit with a motorized in-dash 7" LCD (you can check out the link in my previous post) and running the cables to a laptop in the boot.

Sounds simple, but i know that it's not going to be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Can't help you with the screen.

Was looking to do something similar a few years back in regards to PC in boot etc.

I decided not to go that way in the end , My Xplod head unit , with factory bootchanger as been fine and I probably get the Sony Ipod controller for jukebox style of listening. (drop in sound quality but still OK at higher MP3 sample rates)

For your PC think about the following.

Your boot can get to 50 + in summer which is out side of most laptop operating hardware ranges. Later laptops will shut themselves down with over-temp so consider extending your cars aircon ducting into the boot to give the laptop a fighting chance.

Keep hard drive away from the Subs unless you want them wiped

Make sure the laptop power supplies from the 12 volt is regulated otherwise when you cars alternator is running at close to 14 volt you can say bye bye laptop power supply.

Sound card .... If your going screens in the car you might as well go for a 5.1 or 6.1 so I'd stick in a Create labs high end sound card.

Speaker wise, put in a centre speaker and maybe a middle rear for 6.1.

You'll only need short leads to run pre-outs to amps, noise could become a factor because of the lower "pre-out" from sound cards.

Software wise, you can go either Unix or MS , MS would be better if your going to get into mobile data integration with your PDA cellphone.

Go for WIFI connectivity as well , that way you'll be able to download more music / movie files from within your garage, rather than having to remove laptop all the time. You could also use your PDA via WIFI as your remote.

Have a think about voice activation software for the PC , XP has this standard. Program basic functions such as volume up /down , track change etc.

Probably other ideas, these were some I'd thought about.

In the end , I went for sound quality with decent AMPs and Speakers , the Xplod unit was a bit of a compromise on sound quality , but in that I’d say that Sony’s joystick remote is ideal for driving. I don’t need to take eyes of the road to change tracks / CD’s.

I'm sure it's been done before, so in the interest of learning from other peoples mistakes, can anyone offer any advice??

There are alot of versions in the States that have been put into E38's. All music, video, internet access, rear vision camera etc run from the headunit screen.

Ill try and find some links in the next couple of days for you.

Guest Andrew

wouldn't bother with a laptop -

MicroATX based system - massive hard disks , WLAN so you can copy songs to your car from inside your house - Linux based using one of the numerous LCD controlling applications - then write a custom app in TCL/tk or similar (or used an exsisting program - they are out there). Would be a PITA to do. using windoze or similar.

Micro Atx would be nice, but why spend the $$ when i have a spare laptop, with docking station and Wifi with a 60 GB external laptop Ziv Drive.

The backend system isn't really the issue, i can build whatever i need, I'm just interested in getting some advice on the touch screen.

I had a stero shop try and sell me the whole package for $2400 the other day, nice system, but sh*t ... $2400.

I had a stero shop try and sell me the whole package for $2400 the other day, nice system, but sh*t ... $2400.

did you kick the guy in the balls who gave you that quote?..

just ask what they are going to do that requires 2.4k and then copy that :D

it has been done quite alot, then you could even go all F&F and make the passenger seat removeable store the lappy under there and control your NAWS from there t00

PHONE!

awesome ... thanks man

Ill just add the links here as I find them....

Socal7

Oh bollox I cant find anything else right now, but go to bimmerboard and search through the e38 stuff.

There are several people who have done it, Socal7 above was the first I think.

Looks like Socal7 is jacking off the Ibus.

That would be a really easy way to do it, no good for me tho.

keep the links coming, I'm getting some really good idea's, It's crazy, i have every single part i need, except for the touch screen .. lol .. i'll find one of those soon (at a decent price, I may have to import from the USA, the prices kiwi's want are just stupid)

I've found a really good write up on this, for those of you who have an Ibus system.

Check it out here

Edited by WarlockNZ