Sign in to follow this  
ZondaX15

E30 Shifter vibration, car shuddering and mysterious gearbox smoke

Hi, I have a 1988 320i with a manual trans, and I have a bit of a strange issue that I haven't seen anyone having before.

For about 3 weeks the shifter rattles pretty hard in 1st, 3rd and 5th, with the whole car shuddering like mad in 2nd and 3rd. 4th seems to be fine all around. I lifted it up on the hoist at work last week, and saw the guibo(?) between the gearbox and driveshaft was looking pretty sad. And that the left gearbox mount was marshmellow.

I got a pair of gearbox mounts and a driveshaft doughnut to replace them, which I plan on doing tomorrow.

To make things worse, over the last week I have noticed a poingant smell of buring rubber when the car is going faster than like 80. And to make things really worse, today I noticed the smell again, and lifted the shift boot up. Unsurprisingly, smoke came out. It wasn't pouring out, but it was building up in there.

Before I disappoint you even more, I had to get a new gearbox filler plug because the current one is assholed, and has been since I got the car. Chances are it's got hardly any oil.

My 2015 Rolls Royce had the same problem. It is now for sale for $1.

Gearbox may well be assholed too. Great success!