Sign in to follow this  
Guest 535E28

Shocks: To Rebuild or Not to Rebuild

Guest 535E28

Took the 535 into Page European for a checkover today, and it turns out the old duck

has bilsteins on board, although a little saggy. So whereas I was expecting to replace the stock shocks with Koni's , I now have the option of re building the bilsteins.

Any thoughts, or pro's and cons of rebuilding the shocks

cheers

Took the 535 into Page European for a checkover today, and it turns out the old duck

has bilsteins on board, although a little saggy. So whereas I was expecting to replace the stock shocks with Koni's , I now have the option of re building the bilsteins.

Any thoughts, or pro's and cons of rebuilding the shocks

cheers

my mate rebuilt his ones , handles real good . could be a little lower . but still goes around a track real well.

i have std ones in mine 2 , a bit worn as well .

you can have them up rated to a bit harder , but i think it would be to boucy

theres a guy in auckland that does, them, can rebuild them to a higher spec, www.ztr.co.nz is his homepage, seemeda good guy to deal with

Definately rebuild the Bilsteins, cant get any better than that in my opinion.

As Sparkle says there is a guy in Auckland who can take care of it, although Im surprised Vijay or Bho didnt tell you where you could get it done.

I dont think its all that expensive either. I have been quoted around 100 a piece if memory serves me right.

I agree with Martyyn,

The Bilstiens are designed to be rebuilt, its usually cheaper, and thats what BMW originally fitted.

I believe Bilstien are generally regarded as as good if not better the Koni anyway, but it would also depend on price.

Both are good shocks.

If you are in Wellington try Mossracks (spelling?) behind McDonalds at the Basin Reserve.

Guest 535E28

They said they would just send them to Autolign, and then would be outsourced from there .. could be around $150 a shock

Guest Andrew

I think you'll find the earlier style bilstiens (at least the rears) are not rebuildable. Or it soon becomes such a pricey exercise new ones are cheaper.

So - just get new ones (they are cheap)

www.shox.com

Guest 535E28

Ok, if that's the case, then what model Bilsteins should I be looking at... I am guessing the heavy duty ones, as I am not going to be tearing round a track.

I've bought a lot of music related stuff from the US, but never car stuff. Has anyone dealt with shox.com, and are you required to phone them, as they don't seem to deal with international orders through their site.

I dont think its all that expensive either. I have been quoted around 100 a piece if memory serves me right.

Seriously, for your EDC shocks. Tell me where, I'll drive down with them.

Seriously, for your EDC shocks. Tell me where, I'll drive down with them.

No for the Bilsteins I have in the GT-b wagon.