Sign in to follow this  
bem-on

engine and box removal

Hay guys im about to get started on removing the engine and box out of the e30 after work today and was wondering the best way to go about it. I was thinking of taking the box and motor out intact or would taking the motor and then the box out be a better option. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Contear

Edited by bem-on

drop the whole lot out under the car, way easier than trying to haul it out the top. Also, undoing the gearbox from the engine is a b*tch of a job while the whole lot is in the car so is better to take the whole unit out in one go..

my opinion anyway...

pm me if you want details, Contear.

Would I need a pit for that Will? I have an engine hoist, which is probably the only reason why I choose to lift it out. But if I don’t need a pit to drop the bugger than that sounds much better.

cheers

Edited by bem-on

no, you can do it without a pit. I don't have one and have done at least 6 in the last 3 months...

The way I do it is to first undo the propshaft, exhaust, gearleaver, engine loom from computer box, accel cable etc so the engine/gearbox assembly is free to come out. Then undo the engine mounts from the crossmember, loosten off the steering flex joint, jack the car up and get the front wheels off the ground, remove the wheels, undo the calipers from the front struts and tie up out of the way. Put stands under the chassis rails.

Use the engine hoist to support the motor and drop the crossmember and front suspension out under the car.

Lower the engine/gearbox onto the floor.

Use the engine hoist to lift up the front of the car high enough so the engine can be dragged out from under the car. Don't worry, the body without the engine and front suspension is light, if there are a few of you, you can actually just lift it up at the front and walk it back over the engine/gearbox too...

Putting it back is the reverse, first lift the engine/gearbox up into the car and then replace the crossmember and front suspension.

I have a chain block and large trolley jack I use to do the same thing, but using an engine hoist is much easier as it is a movable item, my chain block is fixed in position so I have to shift things around... must get Father Christmas to bring me one sometime...

have fun..

Will