Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

RTAB replacement

Carrying on from my earlier post on E46/36 Rear Trailing Arm Bushings I thought I would add a few photos.

The old bushes were replacements and were not as bad as the ones I pulled out of my E36, in fact they were still in close to original condition. However with the upgraded springs, shocks, bars and new tyres the movement (Toe angle changes is what I believe it is) became quite noticeable. So if an average wheel man like me notices it then it must be awful when the bushes are shagged. But as Ron mentioned when you have one weak link it becomes more obvious. So if you have flangeless bushes and want to borrow my toll I am happy to lend it to members. It turns a prick of a job into a 1 hour job.

post-51653-0-43454700-1454372339.jpg

The Old bush was the new style without a locating flange.

post-51653-0-47396700-1454372408.jpg

The tool that I bought off E Bay UK, it removed the old bush in just a few minutes.

post-51653-0-60200600-1454372475.jpg

As it comes out of the arm.

Both halves just press in by hand and with lots of grease the housing slips back over, the locating bolt is torqued up and its ready to go back up into the chassis.

post-51653-0-86169000-1454372615.jpg

Edited by Herbmiester

Having driven the car now for a few days I will says it's a bit firmer and the small irregularities are noticeable but not unbearable. In the corners what is most noticeable is that there is less need to re adjust the steering once the outside tyre loads up. In the past you would pick the line, try and hit the apex but you would then need to make a quick correction or two as the rear moved. It now holds the line much better and requires far less input; it almost feels like there is a bit of rear steer that pushes you round the corner.

I assume this is because there is less toe angle change but I am not an expert here. Ron? Anyway the upshot is that it more predictable and feels a lot more stable in the corner and has lost that skittish feeling that inevitably ended up with tyre squeal and the ASC light flashing.

I think I am now seeing what E46 chassis can deliver and I can now understand why it is so highly regarded. I better start saving my pennies for an M3 so I can get the full monty.

Next up is new front control arms and a brake overhaul.

• Like 1