Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Lumpy Cams

Hey guys,

Been taking my engine apart and I was curious as to what sorta performance gains can be seen from regrounding your cam to make it lumpy.

Are there any trade offs for this upgrade. ie. is there anything you lose by adding a lumpy cam.

I've had a talk with a few people and they dont seem to certain abotu what they know.

I've never really heard of anyone aroudn here thats done it but if you have be sure to speak up and tell us about it.

Cheers

Andy

how bout you read around that thar inter-net, and read what possible gains you will get...

they will only be of *real* benifet if a number of others modifications are present.

Aren't all cams lumpy?! :finger:

Edited by conrod

Guest Spargo

Don't bother unless your actually converting to 2.5 for a start, and then dont even bother if you don't have a good exhaust, and then don't bother unless you've got a MAF and upgraded injectors, and then don't bother with anything less than a 280/272 for an M20.

You'll lose bottom end for more top end.

And don't bother unless it is a Schrick cam, and you have a way of changing the fuel and ignition maps, to take advantage off all the extra air your engine will flow.

Guest Andrew

Gus here....

mines lumpy....it makes it a lot more peaky...i would prob leave stock 2.5 cams in.....most m20 mods dont seem to do a hell of a lot...i would just save time and money and leave it stock.

although lumpy idle is badass

So your saying it wasnt realy worth it? How much of a gain did it make? And also what were the specs?

Im interested in doing the same thing (as soon as i get a pay rise...).

just buy a honda.

:rambo: Edited by Steve K-B

It so depends what you want your engine to do. In a six a mild lumpy is nice, but expect it to idle higher and rev a little easily-- and suck more fuel.

A wild lumpy sounds fantastic on a six, makes the car rock on idle and sound horny on full throttle -- all carby cars that i've owned/build or built for others anyway.

Is pay's to speak to the pro's when talking cams. They will whip out a book and ask you a few questions and TELL you the cam you need and dial that bad boy in.

sic old boy - STFU with da honda deluded ramblings homie

:drunk:

Edited by 318is

Guest Andrew

I'd go so far to say unless its a race car running on the track - don't do it at all.

The low down torque character of the m20 2.5 is what makes it nice to drive around.