Sign in to follow this  
Advokit

E36 Sunroof Problems

Just imported a 98 e36 320 sedan with sunroof, and low and behold there was no sunroof motor. I guess someone must have pulled it out in Japan.

So I went and got a motor (which i have tested and is ok) but it didnt make the sunroof work, I have been told this could possibly be a relay in behind the dash that could have a dry joint? (I have tested the switch which is ok).

Now we went to wind the sunroof manually so the Painter could paint the roof, but now it is stuck in tilt postion and will not go back, this I am told is most likely some plastic clip things that have busted and will need to be replaced.

Has anyone had similar problems? It looks like I will have to remove the Hood lining and take out the sunroof mech to either repair or replace the whole mech 2nd Hand.

As for the power problem, I dont even know where the relay is to fix it. I would have no problem in repairing it if I knew where it was.

Suggestions? Should I repair the Sunroof Mech? or buy a 2nd hand one for $350 and chuck it back in?

Does anyone have any ideas or links that may help?

i have 92 coupe with sunroof as spares if you need any .

or if you wnat to pull apart to see how it works etc .

021433600 or 2997389 ah is best

Well I went and ripped out the Hoodlining and the Sunroof Mech the other day.

Wasnt too hard to take it out, the replacement parts are about $400 for the sunroof kit (From dealership). Hopefully it shouldnt be too hard to put it all back in.

Still not sure about the power issue though. Anyone out there ever had problems with a "Comfort Relay"? Apparently it controls Windows, Sunroof, Central Lock etc.

Hey thanks for the offer of the parts, I decided to get them new as at least I know I have a comeback if something plays up.

Cheers.