Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Engine Swap

Not sure how the work is going on this, but.

I have done exactly this change, if i understand what you are saying.

Took 1991 320i with broken cam belt and most valves bent. Replaced the motor with 1985 323i motor and put the manual gearbox in it as well. No plugs on gear box all on motor.

Used all parts off the Motronic '91 car, Inlet manifold, loom, moved the Dissy to front of cam, basically changed every thing that was on the face lift motor and put it on Pre face lift. Then got a chip done in the UK to run the 2.3 motor with Motronic ecu.

It will run on the 2.0 lt motor chip, but is MUCH better on bigger chip. Also had it ramped up to give better performance.

All round a smooth faster car than the 2.0 .

If you need more info PM me.

I was waiting for you to chip in, I had an idea you did the exact same thing.

Random question- what cars have the sensors on the G/box? I know early 325 motronics but anything else?

the only different to your conversion the motor you put in was a facelift model to the one I'm putting in. Just had a quote on getting it done @ BMWorkshop.. I think its fair to say DIY :)

Was just thinking about the Hp of 323's . The later ones were rated at 110kw /150hp (hopefully you've got the 150 hp version). Can't remember if the difference was compression or camshaft. They are a good engine , lots of torque around idle (longer stroke than 325) ,They are a bit thirsty on the gas , maybe motronic will help this a bit. If you stay with Le injection you won't need to remap if you go filter / exhaust mods later on.

The 323 motor that went in to mine was PRE FACE LIFT.

150hp and with the uprated chip probably giving that at the wheels. I Hope! B)

No I mean the engine itself had a facelift - went from 139 - 150 horsepower. This one is only the 139hp version I'm afraid.

Edited by E30stz