Sign in to follow this  
kiwipetrolhead

E what?

Hi there,

I have a 540i 1994 and a 323i coupe 1982 (built Oct '82 but first registered in 1983). Both are NZ new.

What are the "E" numbers for them? (i.e. E30 or whatever) And what does the letter E actually refer to (the Engine)?

Also, is anyone here in the NZ BMW Club? If so, what do you get out of being a member? I know they send members a club newsletter and they run some sort of events sometimes, but how often and how much occurs in the lower North Island?

Thanks

Paul

Hi

Your 540i is an E34, and your 323i is an E21 (I think it is too old to be an E30). The E designation refers to the series, and body shape. There is a separate M (or S) code to identify your engine.

For example, my old E30 had an M20 engine. My new E36 has an M52 engine. Normal cars have a M designation for their engine. Proper motorsport cars have the S designated engine.

I would imagine your 323i would have an M20 engine, and your 540i will have a M60 engine.

Yes, lots of us here are in the BMW CC. Visit www.bmwclub.org.nz.

They (we) run a fair few events, catering to most people's interests.

Cheers

Grant

Edited by Grant

Thanks guys.

So a 1983 320 (which is a 2 litre) is an M20 engine as is a 323's 2.3 litre engine?

I will check out the link to study up. I have been meaning to learn this one for years, so about time I got on to it.

Cheers

Paul

Oops, E21 is the car's model and M20 is its engine. I'll get there yet. ^_^

But the M20 refers to the engine type regardless of cc rating?

P

320 - M20B20 (M20 engine code B20 the size)

323 - M20B23

325 - M20B25

goto www.bmwinfo.com and it will answer all your questions.

Edited by E30stz

once you get the idea its a very logical sytem...and bmw seem to stick to it....

As well as the quiz a bmw committee member MUST test your 540... :P

I am in the Wellington Club and on the committee.I would like to organise/or have more road car events.A fair few Bimmersporters are also car club members(or is it the other way round) and not surprisingly are often found at road car events held by the club.I will email you some past club newletters if you like.If you do want some send me an email with KIWIPETROLHEAD/CAR CLUB in the subject line.They will be microsoft word documents

So a 1983 320 (which is a 2 litre) is an M20 engine as is a 323's 2.3 litre engine?

Depends, some 320 had a 4 cyl engine (M10)

Depends, some 320 had a 4 cyl engine (M10)
Ah yes, a friend of mine used to have an old 4cyl 320. She has a '90s model now though. Her mother and step father own one of the BMW wreckers in Hamilton.

P

once you get the idea its a very logical sytem...and bmw seem to stick to it....

As well as the quiz a bmw committee member MUST test your 540... :P

I am in the Wellington Club and on the committee.I would like to organise/or have more road car events.A fair few Bimmersporters are also car club members(or is it the other way round) and not surprisingly are often found at road car events held by the club.I will email you some past club newletters if you like.If you do want some send me an email with KIWIPETROLHEAD/CAR CLUB in the subject line.They will be microsoft word documents

kiwi535,

A bmw committee member MUST test my 540? Why is that? And then why not also test my 323? Also, what sort of test, a thrash round a race track?

Yes, please send me some club newsletters. I don't know your email address, but mine is [email protected].

Thanks

Paul

Forgettting they are German?

Haha Paul (both of you). You should probably let a committee member with a 540 drive it for you. I'd also be willing to try out the 323 for a laugh.

You can swap and see what a 540iS goes like. Let me know if you make it to Auckland sometime.

Have a good week-end.

And what does the letter E actually refer to (the Engine)?

I thought the E stood for Evolution - translated from Entwicklung?

The E # means BMW's series of model designs. eg: E60 means that this is BMW's 60th model design since the beginning of the company.

NB: Not all designs are put into production, such as concept cars, which also receive an E designation. This helps to explain the 'gaps' in E series.

I stand to be corrected, but that is my understanding anyway.

You can swap and see what a 540iS goes like. Let me know if you make it to Auckland sometime.

May be up very soon,i have some wheels to pick up