Sign in to follow this  
NZ00Z3

Dings in front sub-frame, what's acceptable ?

Hi

How pedantic are the warrant of fitness inspectors on dings and damage to sub-frames?

Been looking at buying another Z3. The current owner has been doing some work on it, so I asked to have a look underneath.

Noticed the following:

- A front control arm had been changed and a large ding/dent had been knocked into the sub frame by the ball joint. Must have been a fight to get the old ball joint out.

- The bottom center plate of the front sub-frame has been pushed in about 10 mm by what looks like a using a bottle jack to lift the car with out anything to spread the load.

How likely is it that the sub-frame will get rejected when the car next goes in for a warrant?

The rest of the car looks OK

Regards

Muzz

Have you not got enough Z3's already :) :)

Why don't you ask the seller if you can take it to VINZ or VTNZ for a 'pre-purchase' inspection and ask them while it is there - cover yourself that way .

Mate of mine just failed on his Falcon for a small crush on the floor stiffeners - probably from a belly out on jutter bars.

Always keeping my eye out for the odd rare Z3 (individual or unusual BMW colour) that comes on the market.

Yes I'll get it through VTNZ.

Can you get floor stiffeners and similar underbody damage fixed or is it the death of the car?