Sign in to follow this  
Damo

BMW 2002 Touring Turbo Replica build

Intially it looked straight forward, change the drive gear, weld up the mechanical advance and disconnect the vaccum advance. The trick is: there is a spiral groove on the shaft to help keep the oil in, this is now spinning backwards and pumping oil out and on to the exhaust. I ended up swapping the dizzy shaft with a 2002 one. (more machining and welding) Seems to be fine now. I already had the link from a previous car, so far it hasn't given me any problems

Intially it looked straight forward, change the drive gear, weld up the mechanical advance and disconnect the vaccum advance. The trick is: there is a spiral groove on the shaft to help keep the oil in, this is now spinning backwards and pumping oil out and on to the exhaust. I ended up swapping the dizzy shaft with a 2002 one. (more machining and welding) Seems to be fine now. I already had the link from a previous car, so far it hasn't given me any problems

Nasty how they changed distributor rotation during the life of the M10! Once had to tune up an E30 M10 that was running like a pig, after a bit of time spent on it I realised that as you revved the engine the timing was retarding! Seems someone had fitted an earlier distributor, changed the drive gear and shoved it in the hole,owner couldn't believe how well it went after it was sorted!...........

Back from Honeymoon finally, time for an update.

Bought a Garrett GT30R from the Garrett Factory in Korea while away, so that is destined to be strapped to the 2002 at some point.

For now the body is done, and the laborious process of re-registration is complete. Its a blast to drive as it is - but I cant leave it at that!

Here some pics of how she looks now.

post-5-1147679466.jpg

Next - BTW did you check out how long the rear windows are on this thing? :blink:

post-5-1147679631.jpg

another

post-5-1147679791.jpg

Last pic

post-5-1147680062.jpg

v nice damo. Wish I'd brought it when I had the chance, damn me for posting the ad up on b.s! :D

????? You are thinking of a very different car my friend - this car was not from TM, and I never saw any ad about it here?

i originally found an ad for the car in trade and exhange, was a 2002 touring, needed some work and was very cheap, soon after that you brought it, so im guessing it was that one?

i originally found an ad for the car in trade and exhange, was a 2002 touring, needed some work and was very cheap, soon after that you brought it, so im guessing it was that one?

Could very well be, there are not many around! I found it via Hyko at german automotive - owned by a mechanic that used to work for him.