Sign in to follow this  
Auzeras

Should I replace rocker shafts & valve guides?

As per title - M30B35, rebuilding head due to cam wear (those of you who know me - about bloody time right!? I kid you not everything's off the engine save for the head itself because it started raining :( )

Banjo bolt fell out of the oil spray bar with the previous owner and the valvetrain at the front of the engine suffered the rear not so much, motor has about 220k on it. Cam is being rebuilt along with new rockers, eccentrics but with my inexperiance I haven't been able to find any data on when to replace the rocker shafts themselves, would they be worn due oil starvation? The rockers, cam and eccentrics are obviously worn but I can't see any wear on the shafts, although I guess that won't be seen until I pull them out. Are the rocker shafts worth "just replacing" so I have an essentially fully rebuilt head or should they be fine unless visibly worn?

Also with the valve guides, worth throwing $100 at them? Valves, unless burned or damaged I plan on just lapping - should be good right?

Previous owner had the head gasket replaced at 150k ish km's but I have no idea if the shop did new guides, they did replace all the radiator hoses though because they're nice and supple so they *may* have done.

Also if you need parts from FCP I'll be doing a big order. Save on those shipping costs :)

Thanks for any help - hopefully there'll be an M30 burning tyres in the drive by Chirstmas :D

rocker shafts normally ok , valve guides , get you local head or engine recon guys to check them out

when i had my m30 rebuilt they replaced the cam followers....they were losing the hardening on the faces,they  did something else too but i cant remember..this was after the headgasket went at about 240 km