Sign in to follow this  
slideways

Strut Machining issues

I just pulled the shocks out of the front struts of my 318 e30 as i was planning to machine down the threaded collar about 50mm to gain some more travel.

But i found out that the shock runs right down to the bottom of the strut and therefor contains no packers at the bottom.

So the shock is way longer than i expected and this dosnt allow me to shorten my struts at all.

My main question here is: Am i able to cut the bottom of the shock say 50mm or so?

This is the only way i see shortening these struts could work as i know people have shorten them before.

any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

hell no....pressurised gas? or oil?

why you need more travel? the car will start bottoming out.....try stiffer springs?

Or the most obvious, get shorter inserts!!!

And you'll want to cut the threaded portion off and reuse it (ie. weld it back on once you've cut the desired amount out), unless you are really good at tapping a M45 thread, yeah right.

hell no....pressurised gas? or oil?

why you need more travel? the car will start bottoming out.....try stiffer springs?

I suspect it's pimp'd out gusto, ridin' on the bumpstops.

I have just had my bilstien shocks shortened by autoline in Auck, let me know what kind of shocks you have and how low you want to go.

I have just had my bilstien shocks shortened by autoline in Auck, let me know what kind of shocks you have and how low you want to go.

They would have shortened the shaft, this will keep shorter springs captive but reduce suspension travel.

To get the suspension travel back you need to shorten the strut and use a shorter shock body.

The car is quite low and is nearly on the bumpstops that have already been shortend a little bit.

I dont want to go buy some shorter inserts that will cost $$$ as i was just seeing if i could get away with cutting down some of the orignal one but what you guys have said so far is that i cant shorten the shock body???

The car is quite low and is nearly on the bumpstops that have already been shortend a little bit.

...i cant shorten the shock body???

I guess it must be the "look" you are going for.

so I won't bother with a suspension geomtery speal as the handling (or lack there of) must not mean alot,

and if that is the case, why even bother, just ride it on the bump stops till Mr.Plod stores it away for you??

And NO, you can not shorten the shock body.

FYI, some cheap KYB inserts for a Corolla would prolly fit, and be shorter, stop by supercheap and have a look in their catalogues.

Yea i dont really care about the handling too much but what im trying to do is actually trying to improve the ride quality.

I will go to SAS or STOCKS and see if they could sort me out with some suitable inserts.

:mellow: geez, you're concerned about ride quality and its down to the bump stops! Why dont you just get some factory springs and struts cheap off trademe or off a wrecker and start again.

hehe people go to great measures i have found to get their cars low, i dont care about mine anymore..anyway

dude, will the shcoks be any stiffer when i shorten them as i want to do mine, just dont know whether to buy harder springs first..? thanks

Guest Andrew

hehe people go to great measures i have found to get their cars low, i dont care about mine anymore..anyway

dude, will the shcoks be any stiffer when i shorten them as i want to do mine, just dont know whether to buy harder springs first..? thanks

If you want to go low - go coilovers.

dude, you're awesome

BOOM HEADSHOT!

This is exactly the sort of mindless modification that has caused the LTSA to come down hard on TRUE enthusiasts.

Running on the bumpstops is dangerous, to say “Yea i dont really care about the handling too much but what im trying to do is actually trying to improve the ride quality.” has got to be one of the most pathetic, irrasponsable, dangerous to other road uses statements I have heard in a long time.

If you want to lower your car so it scrape on the road, is ill handling and changes direction from bump steer every second you drive it PLEASE make a public announcement so all of New Zealands educated people driving their families and friends on the same roads as you can stop, park well out of the way and wait for you to kill yourself. Hopefully you don't take someone elses life in the process.

Speed on brother, hell ain't full yet.

RIP:slideways 02/06

Yea i dont really care about the handling too much but what im trying to do is actually trying to improve the ride quality.

Be careful saying stuff like that here buddy. The Grim Reaper is a regular on NZ roads and he loves immortals.

Where can i buy coilovers for the front of my e30 in new zealand, ive seen thm overseas. K sports are what im after??

Buy your coilovers from overseas it will probably be cheaper. Do your homework and buy wisely. Suggest Turner Motorsport would be a good place to start. You could try stocks in NZ if you must buy them here - but you will pay!!!!

Edited by ducatiss

sh*t! bilstein set of lowered shocks is $589, a set im guessing is for front and rear?? turner motorsport..any one know how much these would cost to ship here

I have built several sets of coilover E30 struts with parts from Stocks. Use a 325 strut to start with, they are a bigger diameter. Buy the threaded platform and top mount from stocks, remove the shock insert, carefully cut off the original spring platform, the threaded part will need boring (about 1mm larger from memory) tack weld the threaded part on, refit the insert (or Koni's if you have bought them) and you are nearly done. Only other job is to sort top mount, I have used the adjustable camber plates from Stocks, which fit the top spring mount they sell you.Otherwise you can modify it to fit the stock top mount. From memory it was about $1500 to do the front struts,with Koni inserts,but not including labour.

Dont forget that coil over suspension will require and LVVC and the cost of one of those isrom $350 up. Also remember that 100mm off ground is the wof standard, for a track car no worries if you want to drive on the road think about the others when it all goes wrong when not done the correct way, I have seen to many dodgy vehicles cause others to have accidents.

dam yeah ive already looked into it but at the mo i just cant afford it, im saving and doing part time poly, my poor car comes last at the mo :(

This is exactly the sort of mindless modification that has caused the LTSA to come down hard on TRUE enthusiasts.

Running on the bumpstops is dangerous, to say “Yea i dont really care about the handling too much but what im trying to do is actually trying to improve the ride quality.” has got to be one of the most pathetic, irrasponsable, dangerous to other road uses statements I have heard in a long time.

If you want to lower your car so it scrape on the road, is ill handling and changes direction from bump steer every second you drive it PLEASE make a public announcement so all of New Zealands educated people driving their families and friends on the same roads as you can stop, park well out of the way and wait for you to kill yourself. Hopefully you don't take someone elses life in the process.

Speed on brother, hell ain't full yet.

RIP:slideways 02/06

I never said anything about my car sitting on the bumpstops. I said that it nearly is and was implying that it would sometimes bottom out onto them just like any other E30 that has been lowered and hasnt had the struts machined down to give some of the travel back.

I think everyone has misunderstood what i am trying to achieve.