Sign in to follow this  
Alpina

HELP ME

We're racing this weekend (Feb 11/12) at levels Raceway in Timaru, and the 2002 has sheared the output shaft. Sounds nasty, but it's a fairly simple operation. problem is, my spare diff is back in Auckland. :angry: What we need is someone with a diff - the required part easily unbolts from the diff (without opening the diff up) and could be borrowed / purchased. We could also get the part off a diff in the car, without too much more work. However, we really need to get the part on Sunday morning, so we can at least have a couple more races. :rolleyes: That means you'd need to be within an hour of Timaru. If you can help in any way, please reply to this post, or call me on 027 269-2002, that's 027 BMW-2002, ANY TIME!!

Did you get the part you needed?, Sorry being in Auckland I couldn't help at the time.

I've got two complete 2002 rear ends (drum to drum) I was wanting to sell Say $300 for the pair, Any use to you?

Thanks for your message.

Yes, unbelievably, we did get a part!! After struggling to get the last part of the old piece out of the diff, a guy came through the pits and after a short chat said that he knew someone, who knew someone, who owned a 2002 and lived in Timaru. So I called the guy on Sunday morning, told him I wanted to "pull his car apart" and had the part fitted to my car before lunch. We managed 3 more races that afternoon, and refitted the part to his "daily driver" on Monday morning, before driving down to Dunedin. Many thanks to Ron Hart of Timaru!!

Thanks for your offer of 02 bits - on advice, we're now going to upgrade the rear-end. We'll probably end up with E21 or E30 diff and half-shafts, which are much stronger. That won't be in place for this weekend's round at Invercargill, but we'll have to take the risk.

PS: If you just want to get rid of one half-shaft, that would give me a spare for the weekend. How much, and where do you live.

Guest Andrew

Out of curiousity -

Are you Grant Clegg - how much power does the 02 roughly have? Probably quite a bit less than my e30 - I want to go back to a small case diff for heaps of gear ratio options (we are probably all looking for 4.1 and 4.27 diffs) but i'm worried i'll break it.

Yes, it's Grant here!

Not sure what sort of power the Alpina has - we've never measured it. Your E30, is that a 323i? If so, then then the Alpina would probably be a bit less. Not sure of the exact cam specs, but I think it's over 300 degree duration - a solid mid-range from 5,000 and revving all the way to 8,000!

We run a 4.11 diff combined with the Getrag close-ratio box (1:1 5th), and 205/50-15 tyres. What that gives is excellent acceleration, especially in the mid-range required for Targa (80 - 140 km/h) but it does mean fairly high revs at higher speeds. We're doing 4,100 rpm per 100 km/h, so that's 8,200 at 200 km/h. (at the end of Pukekohe's back straight) I'll guess we'll get close to that at Teretonga this weekend - I'll let you know! :)

We could try a slightly taller diff, such as 3.89:1, but I think 3.64:1 is too tall.

Guest Andrew

Yes, it's Grant here!

Not sure what sort of power the Alpina has - we've never measured it. Your E30, is that a 323i? If so, then then the Alpina would probably be a bit less. Not sure of the exact cam specs, but I think it's over 300 degree duration - a solid mid-range from 5,000 and revving all the way to 8,000!

We run a 4.11 diff combined with the Getrag close-ratio box (1:1 5th), and 205/50-15 tyres. What that gives is excellent acceleration, especially in the mid-range required for Targa (80 - 140 km/h) but it does mean fairly high revs at higher speeds. We're doing 4,100 rpm per 100 km/h, so that's 8,200 at 200 km/h. (at the end of Pukekohe's back straight) I'll guess we'll get close to that at Teretonga this weekend - I'll let you know! :)

We could try a slightly taller diff, such as 3.89:1, but I think 3.64:1 is too tall.

Hi -

Yeah i've got a 2.5 ltr in there reasonably modified (again a targa car - but am using it only on the track right now) Its putting out 185 rwhp - so around 220 engine horsepower (50 hp more than stock)

Was watching you down at Ruapuna - looks like the car goes pretty well.

Just worried about breaking a small case diff if you are already in the 2002.

Actually I do have a spare 1/2 shaft (I've got a total of 5) - no idea of the condition but your're welcome to it for, say a couple of six packs of Carlsberg.

I'm in Pukekohe

Thanks again for the offer - we have already been back to the South Island. Last weekend was the Teretonga round of the SFOS, and we managed to locate a back-up shaft to take with us - fortunately, it wasn't required.

Only one weekend to go now - the 3 Mile Hill Climb on Saturday and the Dunedin Street Race this Sunday. Then some well-earned TLC for the Alpina.