Sign in to follow this  
smokenbaby

E30 5spd Gearbox

Guest Andrew

Must be late model with the holes on the starter motor side of the bellhousing for the Position and Speed censors.

FYI - the earlier model ones came with those reference sensors in the bell housing. The later ones didn't.

This is where the conflict starts.

My car ('84 320i - early Motronic) doesn't have the sensors to the bellhousing. The donor car ('87 325i - late Motronic) does have them. Have checked my Bellhousing for the sensor ports but there ar non. Was going to swap Bellhousings over but the Auto has a longer one. This is not suitable.

What I am after is a 260 gearbox with sensor ports. My 320 box is a 240.

After looking at the 320 and 325 flywheels (compared mine to Grants spare) there doesn't appear to be any pick-up on them. The flex plate on the auto has a “tit” on it that one of the sensors must read. If you unplug the sensors the motor wont start. I have no idea what is picks up on but no doubt there is some sort of Voodoo black magic involved.

Please help

This is what my car has in it

post-12-1139789310.jpg

Edited by smokenbaby

your 320 is L jetronic, and didnt need the sensors.....only the pre FL motronic 325's came with the sensors as the later motronic use an RPM sensor on the ignition wires and a CAS on the front of crank

not that i know anything about the subject, but the 83 Pre-fl 323i i was looking at was L-Jet and required those sensors on the gearbox.

Ok then,

So what I am after is a pre F/L 325i gearbox. Does anyone have one that they want to sell. I will also need the Flywheel.

Please phone or txt 021 425 264

Yeah, but even the dogleg gearboxes do not have the holes for the sensors. I've been down this track too.

At $3500 for a dogleg gearbox, maybe I should sell mine?

How easy is it to convert early motronic to late motronic (ie, all the stuff at the front?) Even my 525e motor needs the motronic sensors at the rear.