Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Need New Tyres

Guest hizza bizza

I'm running Kumho ECSTA 215/40/17's at the moment. I'm pretty happy with them

When I bought my bimmer it was on Bridgestone grid IIs and continentals - the grids were ok - understeer central in the wet tho.... and the continentals, well, uh, they didnt last long - too many skids.... I put some Formula 901s on the back - good traction, just the way I drove they died really quickly... I found for rear tyres on my standard wheels, buy cheap hard compound tyres like the Sava Intensas - take a beating, and let you get sideways BIG TIME!!!!

On my 18s, I got it with Kuhmo Exsta Supras (235/40/18) and they are really great - good tread wear etc... Never before has a set of tyres lasted me more than 6 months!!! I had to get 2 new ones for a WOF the other day (inside shoulder - go the camber!!) so i got 2 goodyear GS-D3s - they cost $310 each (discounted) which is cheaper than I was expecting to have to pay for them. I had them on my Pulsar when I sold it - they wore well and they give good traction in the wet and in the dry - they have a really awsome looking tread design - looks agressive as! (but as they cost so much, Im not going to push their traction boundries too much until they are due replacements...

Ill post a pic if I can find one...

This is what the beaurepairs website has to say about them:

" Eagle F1 GS-D3

Combination high performance tread compound, V-tred pattern design and new casing shape delivers maximum resistance to aquaplaning and extreme levels of wet handling.

Continuous centreline delivers improved on-centre steering feel, improved steering precision and fast steering response.

Asymetric rib angle design increases lateral stiffness with consequent improved steering performance

Very long tread grooves running perpendicular to the footprint edge and optimised tread design provides reduced noise on smooth road surfaces"

Pretty encouraging... I cant get the pic of them to work - ill just post the URL

GS-D3 tyre

My new tyres are being fitted tomorrow. I went with the Yokohama's again.

I am also getting an alignment done, a slow leak in one of my remaining tyres fixed, and the two tyres I am replacing put on to two spare bottlecaps.

Cheers

I have on mine Michelin Pilot SX 205/60/15 which came with the car. When these wear out I was keen for some new rims to go with a new set but the sticker inside the drivers door from BMW with tyre sizes only lists a 235/40/17 option in a 17" rim. Is there any reason they dont list anything between a 205 and a 235?

I have on mine Michelin Pilot SX 205/60/15 which came with the car. When these wear out I was keen for some new rims to go with a new set but the sticker inside the drivers door from BMW with tyre sizes only lists a 235/40/17 option in a 17" rim. Is there any reason they dont list anything between a 205 and a 235?

My 325 says the same thing on the inside of the drivers door. Im not sure what its meant to mean, but I have 235/40/18s on my car and its no problem - Im sure that the tyre width doesnt matter, but the wider the tyre the better the handelling! My car went from sliding easy to having to be pushed to slide!

the guards can accomodate the big tyres - trust me, it looks really close, but the more people i put in, the lower it goes and still no rubbing. You just may need to have a bit of a hack at the inner guards, but thats easy. :D

with big wheels - E36s look cool as! B) (actually, even standard, but...!!!)

I'm looking for a set of new tyres as well.

I don't want to have my current tyres again. (Pirelli P Zero Nero's)

Any idea's from NZ?

I'm thinking of Pirelli P Zero Rosso's / Michelin Pilot Sports or Bridgestone Potenza S-03's on my 17" M3 Motorsport wheels. (235/40/17)

Gr,

Marcel

Marcel

I have heard nothing but good comments about the Bridgestine SO3's. But unfortunately they are a little costly in NZ.

I am very pleased with the A539 Yokohama's now. They performed very well on the wet BMWCC Driver Training Day at the Taupo Race Day. They held the car solid in corners where I thought I would start sliding.

Cheers

big thanks to grant for lending me 2 yokohamas....worked well in the wet.....didnt get a hint of understeer the whole day....cant say the same about barum bravuras...worst tyres ever...OVERSTEER OVERSTEER OVERSTEER

entertaining....but slightly less so at 100 going sideways facing a concrete wall

Marcel

I have heard nothing but good comments about the Bridgestine SO3's. But unfortunately they are a little costly in NZ.

I am very pleased with the A539 Yokohama's now. They performed very well on the wet BMWCC Driver Training Day at the Taupo Race Day. They held the car solid in corners where I thought I would start sliding.

Cheers

And what about the dryweather performance of those Yokohama's?

Marcel

Marcel

Cheers

And what about the dryweather performance of those Yokohama's?

Marcel

They are above average....not the worlds greatest, but I can corner pretty hard and know that I will actually make it around the corner....but if I over push it I also know that it will come unstuck.

My priority was good performance and grip in the wet (as this is where I am most likely to come unstuck). I am a lot less confident of my abilities as a friver in the wet, so was more concerned assistance in the wet.

Cheers

Lowbm

no, I havn't found that...they are brilliant in the wet. Have you got them and had that problem?

Cheers

nah. but when my car was standard set-up, it had the mean understeer in the wet. now with the big feet and stiff set-up it all good.

what suspension set-up u got behind those tyres?

no, with the standard 14 inch alloys, 195's are the best size to use, I feel.

I get no understeer at all in the wet. I am just running the standard suspension, but will change this reasonably soon, but not to anything radical, just Jamex springs and Bilstein Sportline shocks...it won't really lower it (just 20mm).

The cosmetic look isn't big on me, actual real world performace is more important to me. (not that I have anything against people who sack their cars...just not my thing).

but...if I did put bigger wheels on, I would have wider tyres. I had as good control as could be expected on Taupo racetrack in the weekend.

Cheers

BTW, good to see they included your BMWCC result in the club's magazine.

You had a very nice tidy car, it deserved the high mark that it got (it beat mine!!!)

Cheers

After fixing a slow leak in one of my tyres (which got done for free :mosh:) the discussion of new ones came around. The guy suggested Bridgestone GR50 AQ Touring tyres, anyone used them or got an opinion on them?

I think I was running Bridgestone Potenza S-03's on my Nissan 200SX. Nice soft compound, & loads of grip. However only lasted me less than 20,000km.

Also, they did not give any warning when they were about to give way. Nothing more embarassing than an unexpected drift & leaving fish tails all over the road.