Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Need New Tyres

Hello

I am going to buy new tyres. I am open to suggestions. I currently have Yokohama A539's on the car. I have been quite happy with them, so will more than likely replace them with new ones...but if anyone has any better suggestions?

What are you guys using, and are you happy with them.

I am running standard 14" Bottlecaps with 195/14 R60 and will use this size again.

Price is not an overly big issue, as tyres are pretty important in my opinion.

Cheers

I've got a spare set of bottle caps you could buy grant and put some nice Toyo RA1's on them (205/55 R14's) mmmmm.

I'd look at some dunlop FM-901's $140ish ea.

Or even some Nankang EX-601's $110ish ea. (don't laugh, made by yokohama)

Had these as road tyres on my 323gtx and loved them, nice big tread blocks!!

Hankook use to do a real nice tyre I think it was a Z2000S nice asymetrical trye, came in 2 compounds race and road.

thats my 2c

Cheers Glenn

I have 9 bottlecaps already - I think 13 might be overkill :D

Cheers also for the different choices, I will go and have a look at these at tyre dealers.

Thanks again...it is amazing how good this forum can be when it is used properly, and not just to put people down and start petty arguements.

No worries Grant, We all know how frustrating it can be trying to get any useful information.

My philosophy is "you can never have too many spare wheels/tyres".

I've got 3 sets or wheels & tyres, only one of which I can use at the moment, but you never know when you might need them.

For example I bought a set of VR-4 wheels for 2packs of cigarettes and then swapped them for a lovely Recaro SR race seat!! Random off topic babling here, but work is bites today!!

I know how you feel, I am sitting at work, trying to stay motivated, but I'm afraid by 3.00pm each day, I am easily distracted!!! (Especially on a Monday, and especially during the F1 season)

No what am I meant to be doing again......

Guest MSBOND

im running GT Radial Champiro 50's 225x40x15 i love them, im running my second set, i dont think il change, they last good considering the camber and they are awsome to drive on in all conditions.

while we're on the subject and glenn is being the great fountain of knowledge that he is......what 17" tyres should i get? need 2 new fronts for the track day.....and what pressure should i run on 215/40R17 (i prob wont run bigger on the front...the rub anyway) keeping in mind they will heat up quick....i too have 9 sets of bottle caps...deciding whether to spend 300 on 2 new tyres for chrome or if i can 4 new tyres for bottlecaps...suggestions?

I had GT Radial Champiro's before the Yokohama's.

They were good in the dry when they were new, but were a tad slippery in the wet.

Once they got, even a bit worn they were unusable - they are now on a boat trailer at Whangamata...with about 60% tread on them.

Cheers

Guest hizza bizza

....i too have 9 sets of bottle caps...

extreme, someone loves their bottlecaps.. :P

haha 9 sets would be entirely too many bottlecaps....fun!

Guest MSBOND

maybe being a 318 there isnt as much power at the wheels so drifting is less common, but im defnitly satisfied, the last set lasted for 2 years and just wore on the insides the rest of the tyre has still got up to 4mm tread, this time round im going to rotate them to get more out of the tyre.

I really like the Dunlop FM 901's,

I've got a pair of worn 205/55 R16's on the front of my E30 and they feel great.

A friend is running 195/60 R14's on his corolla and he raves about them also.

They come in all sizes so everyone can enjoy!!

For a good budget performance tyre I don't think you can go past the Nankang EX-601 (for you bottlecap fans), if you shop around you should be able to get them for a little more than

$400 set.

Never had any dealings with the GT Radials, nice looking tread, have also heard they aren't too flash in the wet Grant.

Not sure what pressure to run in the 17's gus, I run 36lbs front and 34lbs rear on my 16's, another friend who has 17's runs 40lbs & 38lbs.

Remeber for the track the tyres will get hot so starting of with a lower pressure is always good. I've never bothered because if you take out too much you can't put it back

unless someone has a compressor.

maybe being a 318 there isnt as much power at the wheels so drifting is less common,

Fair point, yeah the power difference in the 325i over the 318i probably means mine is a fair bit more likely to get more tail happy.

Cheers

or a bike pump.....its gonna be comnig with for anyone who wants to pump up tires...its a floor pump so not as long as a hand one! will have to look around think ill stick with the chromes...how much do ya dunlops cost glenn?

Guest RB1

I have recently put a set of Kumho KU15's on the old E6 M3, and they are performing really well - not so flash in the wet mind you. Don't seem to go off with heat cycling at Puke like previous tyres have after 5+ laps.

Kumho sales quote:

"The Kumho ECSTA KU15 MX is an ultra-high performance tyre that can be used on the track as well as on the road by motoring enthusiasts."

Run well at 32 hot - starting from about 27 cold.

Cheers

The options are piling up.

Here is an email I got back from a query to a good tyre outlet yesterday:

Dear Grant

Thank you for your enquiry.

We can offer the following in the 195/60 R14 size

Yokohama A539 $161.00 each

B F Goodrich G Force $162.00 each

Bridgestone Grid III $201.00 each

Barum Bravura $130.00 each

Pirelli P5000 Drago $240.00 each

The Yokohama is a asymmetrical tread pattern tyre, all of the others are Directional.

If you are looking to go on the race track I would suggest you either stay with the Yokohama or look at the B F Goodrich, Bridgestone options.

All prices are GST, Fitting and Balancing inclusive.

I do like the Yokohama's but also have heard nothing but great things about the Grid III's.

Ahhhh decisions...decisions!!!

Cheers

i use

hankook ventris K102

215/40/16R

on a ROH J5 16x7 wheel

these tyres are a silica compond tyre and are worth every cent.

i pickd these up for $185 each x 4

tim how come u using a /40 tyre? im using them on the 17's....should i look at getting a lower profile if i can?

got this from bearepairs...In the 215/40R17 to suit your car we have

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 at 270.00 each

Dunlop DZ101 at 249.00 each

oh man! might go for kumho ecstas again....they not too bad...and i think they around 170...if they good enough for an e36 m3 they good enough for me!

and grant...dont get the barum bravuras..thinks thats what on my bottlecaps=sh*t

Guest Andrew

tim how come u using a /40 tyre? im using them on the 17's....should i look at getting a lower profile if i can?

got this from bearepairs...In the 215/40R17 to suit your car we have

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 at 270.00 each

Dunlop DZ101 at 249.00 each

oh man! might go for kumho ecstas again....they not too bad...and i think they around 170...if they good enough for an e36 m3 they good enough for me!

and grant...dont get the barum bravuras..thinks thats what on my bottlecaps=sh*t

yes.. esp since your radius is now bigger than the bottlecaps, and they rub = ilegal.

Gus, I noticed that the Barum Bravura's were on the list of quotes I got. Barge pole material I think.

I will stick the the Yoko's I think, better the devil you know, and I have been pretty happy with them.

Cheers

had a good suggestion from glenn...gonna get 2 2nd hand 17's..anyone know where to get 2nd hand tyres on the shore?

Guest Andrew

had a good suggestion from glenn...gonna get 2 2nd hand 17's..anyone know where to get 2nd hand tyres on the shore?

Tyre world, No. 50 tyres are ones I know of.

get some toyo T1S's :D

mmm just like cheese on the road... mine are still pwning it up after a good year or so on them +6mm all round