Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

Temp Gauge

I have noticed that my temperature gauge reads a tad low - usually at the first mark, rising up to the half way mark when really pushing it up a long hill. My issue is that when coming down a long hill the gauge drops down almost to the blue mark. Its like the thermostat is stuck open, but I have removed it and checked it and it seems fine. Also tried another one, and while it moved the termperature up to almost the halfway point as normal, it too dropped way back toward the blue when driving down a long hill with no load on the engine. Every other car I have driven seems to hold its temp gauge steady when the load decreases - is this something that E30's do? or should I be looking into this further. Comments appreciated.

Only time my E30 M20 did this (twice) was when the thermostat was stuck open. Otherwise the rest of the time the temp gauge would sit on halfway and wouldn't noticeably move. I'd say keep looking. Check out your viscous fan operation while you’re at it.