Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

grrr

my rear windows do not go.

a while ago the rear left window did not go, but now it is both of the rear windows.

what has happened ?

is it most likely the electric window motors ?

the wiring, in the doors ? or near the buttons ?

help me out if you can.

cheers

It is most likely the buttons. Take them out, pull them apart and clean the contacts.

It should fix them. I had to do this loads of times on my E30, and every single time it was just the switch/button.

Cheers

Grant

It is common for the rear window mechanisms in four doors to seize, as the rear windows are not often used. Grant is spot on, usually it is just the switch contacts but the switch wear is sometimes caused by the mechanisms packing up and making the motors draw excessive current. The high currents burn the switch contacts or the motors themselves. If the switch is playing up it's probably time to regrease the electric window gearbox and cable/spring.

Edited by gmccormack

not sure if its the same as the e28, apparently the rear switches are wired up in series with the front ones, so it could need new switches - last time i had to keep pulling out switches from the right to the left just to put the window down. Anyway this was just in case cleaning the switches didnt work out