Sign in to follow this  
Vjarn

personalised plates

bought eruro style plates of trademe to get the same registration number put on but rang the rude people of Land trasport and they said that its illegal. is this true because this guy sells them on trade me for $125 a pair to get your rego number stamped on, they say the only place that is legal is plates.co.nz for $350.

who knows the what nots????

simple dont tell them you have them on, they will never know

Basically its a grey area of the law. (and its been covered off here before)

If you ask the LTSA they will tell you that you have to run a variation of a Government endorsed number plate.

Old Black Plate

Normal Issue Plate

Personalised Plate via Personalised Plates.

However that isnt the exact wording in law, and according to an associate of mine, who researched the legislation around the plates (specifically around front number plates on his MX5) ....basically the plates have to be the same front and rear and the plates are to be the ones issued for the car (colours and size of lettering). It doesnt say that it has to be issued by the Government.

There is nothing in current law that would actually prevent you creating your own personalised plates (so long as they are unique), and running them on the car.

I'm guessing the first court case to try the case would solve the loophole.

So as recommended before, run your "euro" plates but if you get caught either take it to court or pay the fine...................

Basically - never ask the govt anything!

Although ignorance is no excuse, at least you'll be able to say you didn't know without lying... :D

The only crime I see here is that you bought them off a guy on trademe rather than buying them off the net and saving yourself some money :(

Do a search and you'll find lots of threads on this.

Most will give you the same info that Darryl has done, the rest will give you the websites you can buy them from.

anyone know the law on stickers because you car can't actually mount a plate (ala ferrari)

Guest Andrew

anyone know the law on stickers because you car can't actually mount a plate (ala ferrari)

ilegal - but seems to be tolerated

To answer your question, technically they are not legal as you are only allowed the plates that come from the government's maker (Licensys, I think). The people who enforce the law would be the cops, their stance so far seems to be, if they can see it clearly, they are fine with it. Mind you, it doesn't mean they are legal.

I read before that all vehicle MUST have a rear plate if it runs on the road with its own power. Be it a normal plate or a yellow X plate.

Many people have these overseas made Euro plate on, you can take your chances quite safely I'd say. Just make sure if you have a 0 (zero) in your rego, then it should have a slash in your zero instead of a missing bit in the "O" like most (if not all) German plates.

If you're gonna get these german-font reproductions, the URL is http://www.germanplates.com thats where the trade-me seller buys them from making himself a tidy profit..

I think it should be legal to run these, i mean i see a few cars round with british plates (white front, yellow rear) that look nothing like personalised plates' "euro style plates". I mean its only a slightly different font, its not as if the cops cant read them right? :blink:

....i mean i see a few cars round with british plates (white front, yellow rear) that look nothing like personalised plates' "euro style plates". I mean its only a slightly different font, its not as if the cops cant read them right? :blink:

If they were UK registration plates it may have been because you can bring a car over for less than 12 months and keep your UK reigstration.

If they were kiwi plates but uk style (white and yellow) then they were just lazy when getting them off the web. Most places will send you two whites if you ask them nicely.

all the new plates and euro plates that are being put on our cars at work now have changed font, its now the same as the plates you have just brought