Sign in to follow this  
bravo

m20b25 LOW kms advice

For those of you who troll TM you'll have seen the m20b25 with getrag on sale that had done only 80kms (not 80,000).

I bid on the auction but was outbid by a "young" bidder who then pulled out. The vendor has since offered the motor to me for my highest bid of $2200.

I plan on putting the motor and 'box complete into my car and then disposing of my m20b20 and getrag 240 5spd at a later date.

The engine was originally swapped from Steve Mosen for a 2002 about 12 years ago and has been stored by the current owner ( a workshop that service BMW's among others in the Eastern Auckland region).

It has been properly dry-stored and oil has been poured down the bore and into the cylinders thru the spark-plug holes from time to time and it will turn over by hand. (not seized).

Compressions are even but no figures. They are willing to sell subject to it starting (but obvioulsy until it is in a car with all sensors hooked up there is no way to tell how well it will run).

Cam belt will need replacing obviously and it has no AFM or ecu.

Comes complete with power steer pump, air con, alternator, water pump, loom and mounts.

Any comments, warnings, advice ect etc. I have negotiated 24hrs to confirm purchase before it goes back onto the open market.

Cheers.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

get a written warranty, however, you'd be extremely lucky for it to cover any labour incurred in the installation/removal of a faulty unit.

other than that I'd say go for it, if it's been stored so meticulously then there *shouldn't* be any issues.

just do cambelt, rocker cover gaskets, crank seals, cambelt etc. they've prolly gone hard and will start leaking fairly smartly.

brent would no doubt have a suitable ecu and afm to cover you, although a link or similar may be the go?

They're only willing to give a full waranty if it sells for "retail" i.e $3-4k. Happy to sell "subject to" blah blah, but no waranty as such.

yes,

but you'll know within a few minute of startup whther it's gonna be anygood.... pretty much.

run it for an hour or so, not just idlign and revving, but loading it etc, check compressions etc etc, by then all smoke should have resided (after oily bores, will coke up exhaust a bit, so will take a feww min to burn away...)

what's the price of a "2nd hand" engine for arguements sake???

Well I worked it out this way - 2nd hand 'box = $500-700

2nd hand 325 engine $900+ depending on km's.

So thats $1500 plus with no guarantee and something close to 200kms.

Or say $1500-2k for a damaged 325 with good engine and box that I could part the rest out.

I'd have to do fluids and cambelt on those too and there would be way less life in the 'box and clutch.

But I prob wouldn't have to worry so much about gaskets (maybe) and other random things I haven't thought of. So if it goes well it's a great price as all up installed (by me) with new cambelt and gaskets etc and so on I'm looking a little over 3k for what is essentially as good as a recond' motor and new 'box.

So its about right price wise IMO. And the idea at this stage is once it's going I could start looking for a 320 shell such as Andy (e30stz) and put my old motor in it and flick it off to try and recover costs.

Anyone know if I'm likely to run into any probs with radiator hoses not matching up (thanks andy :angry:) and also I plan to leave the oil cooler lines plugged up (as I know it's possible to run it removed and I don't have one in my 320 so it's easier that way).

Keep comments coming. My other thought was that I could do an m50 swap and have been planning that, but this is much easier for a first time swap and will ultimately cost less. I know I'm going to end up with 20 odd HP less than m50, but that can be for next time maybe.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

I don't but mines a 240 and I'd rather have a low km's 260.

I've decided against it - even tho it's prob a good buy. $3k is a lot to spend when an extra 2 or so will get me very close to a completed m50 swap.

Additionally my neighbour just approached me about going halves in a party wall between our properties for a new commercial building. If we decide to go ahead I'll need every cent I can scrape together, so it's a case of wait and see.

If anyone is interested in the motor PM me and I'll pass on the vendors contact details.