Sign in to follow this  
Brad1138

BMW E34 530i Engine Conversions

Hey guys, Sorry to keep posting questions just need advice on what my plans are for my next car. Im selling the e36 and moving down to a older 5 series (e34) shape. I possibly have acess to a 530i engine done 160,000km but its a good runner plus the automatic box, the car is a write off but has leather aswell. I was thinking of buying an old high KM's 518i or 520i and doing the engine and leather conversion in my old mans panel shop, give the car a nice paint job and have resonably cheap v8 5series and a bit of experience of working first hands on the cars. What sort of troubles is this going to entail. e.g. with the computer systems on the cars its it going to be a straight swap type thing or a major ordeal requiring new link computers etc. I was also thinking to have a manual transmition and lsd diff would be the ultimate set up so what sort of set up would be right for this. Any answers to my questions would be great guys thanks for your help in advance, feel free to volunteer in advance to if you wanna lend you expertise to me for a day to help us out if the project goes under way in a few months.

Thanks again,

Brad

Edited by Brad1138

are you sure its a v8? sounds like it could be the m30 i-6. in that case, ditch the 3.0 and get a 3.5 and use the 5psd box...would be a nice lil setup. the only probs could be the wiring..maybe just buy an auto 535 and do a manual swap? not sure on prices so couldnt really help ya out...have not worked on e34's but would come have a look and give a hand if poss...for beer

you would have to swap just about everything over,the v8s are a real squeeze in the e34 engine bay and therefore the braking systems are different ,even if the brakes arent.You would have to swap the whole engine loom,and computer instruments too probably...

By the way you may find the E34 is not actually a downgrade at all.....

the 530i is deginatly an v8, i think its the m60 3lt version. I believe that the e34s are a really nice car, and your probably right not a downgrade at all.

I would have the hole car to swap from so i could theoritcally swap all the brakes and suspension over aswell.

Basically q's i need answering:

Is the engine any good, alot of talk on forums in the US seems that they are a rubbish engine because of the sulphar eating away at the nickle cyldiner head. anyways just need to know if they are reliable and not going to cause any major problems for me once it gets into the 200,000km braket.

Secondly is dropping the 3.0l into an 518i or 520i body going to be a complete nightmare or a relatively easy transfer in regards to mounting and electronics.

Cheers,

Brad

3.0 = definatly a v8

for the nickisil problems, they were never a problem in NZ, only seemed to be in certain european climates.

would be a relativey easy swap,if you have all the bits to swap....

After all you are swapping something that has been done so ALL parts are available off the shelf at the dealer or a wrecker.BMW told me that hikasil was not a problem here when i was looking at a E34 540....

Where has the car come from,I know they had problems in the US and UK

Edited by kiwi535

the 530i is deginatly an v8, i think its the m60 3lt version. I believe that the e34s are a really nice car, and your probably right not a downgrade at all.

I would have the hole car to swap from so i could theoritcally swap all the brakes and suspension over aswell.

Basically q's i need answering:

Is the engine any good, alot of talk on forums in the US seems that they are a rubbish engine because of the sulphar eating away at the nickle cyldiner head. anyways just need to know if they are reliable and not going to cause any major problems for me once it gets into the 200,000km braket.

Secondly is dropping the 3.0l into an 518i or 520i body going to be a complete nightmare or a relatively easy transfer in regards to mounting and electronics.

Cheers,

Brad

save yourself the trouble and buy my non compliant 94 530i V8 and put your reg plates and vin number on my car .

here is a link to the car on trade me

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=51143835

bimmer sport listing as well

My Webpage

Posted Image

Posted Image]

post-2-1142769047.jpg