Sign in to follow this  
marmel

Intercooler Necessity?

I have just done downpipes on my N54, about to install a alloy charge pipe and am currently running MHD stage 1.

We will shortly have access to 100 octane fuel courtesy of NPD so I'm thinking of looking at stage 2.

How important is it to install a bigger intercooler given the temp at the moment isn't really getting above 10c down south?

You would likely get away with the stock intercooler in these temperatures with 100 octane. However it will get warmer and you will need to do it at some stage. A test done in winter in California (so not really cold) with a good aftermarket intercooler was the difference between the DME pulling timing on MHD tunes vs not. From memory on a stock car the intercooler swap alone was worth around 20HP and the temp difference was quite noticeable at around 30 degrees c. The end tank design on the stock unit also has an effect on pressure drop and flow. I will see if I can find the test as it was pretty comprehensive.

All that said an intercooler swap is pretty easy and not hugely expensive, if you look at the size of the stock BMW cooler its pretty small for a 3l engine. On my car the new cooler was noticeable with  better throttle response and more up top.