Sign in to follow this  
kiwinelson9879

1982 520i Broken Rocker (need help and parts)

Hi,

I have the above car with a diagnosed broken rocker and bent valve, my questions are:

What gasket set do I buy to do the repair (does any M20 gasket set fit?)

Is it worth doing the repair to 1 rocker, or should i do all of them?

Where can I source a valve? second hand I'm guessing

Should I do the timing chain while that deep in the motor?

The car is too nice to wreck, but also quite difficult to repair, can I just swap on a later model head? are all M20's the same bolt pattern? this engine has the old style mechanical injection.

• Like 1

Put your last 7 digits on your chassis number into http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog that will give you a list of part numbers required. Its probably easier and cheaper to buy a complete new head or maybe engine if you just want to fix it. They shouldn't be that expensive or hard to get (least they didn't used to be, i dont keep track of prices tbh)  

Given yours in an 1982 and the change over year you need to see if it was built before or after Sept '82 to verify the later heads are compatible. I dont know what if any difference there is in the earlier blocks and heads (<9.82) compared to later ones (>9.82) but others here probably know.

All M20 engines are timing belt

M20 based stuff is fairly interchangable and you can fix and match most the parts so you can upgrade the fuel injection to later motronic injection, put bigger engine 2.5 or 2.7L engine in etc etc, depends on how far you want to go and much you want to spend.

• Like 1