Sign in to follow this  
bmwsparkle

15k on a track/drift/drag car

blatently stole this off another forum, but i thought was a good topic.

If you had 15k to spend on making a track car/drift car/drag car

Myself, Im not really bothered bout doing a drift or drag car, but for track, I dont think I'd do a E28 or a big car in general for a weekend track car again, still, halfway through now. Itll be a bit of fun if nothing else.

I'd possibly do up a e21 323i, just because they are so much cheaper than e30s here, can pick up a good one for 2k sometimes, convert the mech injection to sidedrafts and do a decent suspension setup.

Or possibly a VW Mk1 or Mk2 Golf Gti, or a Pug 1.9 205 Gti

datto 1600, e21 323 ;) ,e30, ae86. power to weight :P

E24 635i 5spd with my Holset strapped to it and big brakes!!

POWER. :P

Edited by E30-323ti

Hillman Imp with WRX STi Flat Four in arse end. Or an Alfa flat four with some big dirty carbs, should I not be able to procure a Subaru engine and install it for said $15k.

Edited by ThreeOneEight

Glenn and Tim you're telling me you can do all that with 15k??? I dont think so!

piece of cake!!!

Building my car hasn't cost much more than that, and most of that was getting rid of the shite E30 stuff that you wouldn't have to do in a E24/28.

track: maybe an e30 race series car..would be badass fun racing and a realistic option

drift...318 turbo?

street/drag...M325i turbo?

only prob is that if you need it for serious racing a large part of yo budget gets eaten up by cages/safety gear/reliability issues than serious 'mods'

or something single seater or a go kart (having enough$$ to race)

Glenn and Tim you're telling me you can do all that with 15k??? I dont think so!

import all parts from the states, providing nz dollar is not to crap. mod to suit.

wham bam, esirE 4wd!!!

silvia track car just because coil over sus is cheap for them and upgrades are good value for money, wouldnt touch an e30 i dont think..would like to but doubt youd get much for your 15k..

E24 635i 5spd with my Holset strapped to it and big brakes!!

POWER. :P

a decent 635 5 spd could eat up too much Glenn,a 5 or 7 would be heaps cheaper an e 28 would be the go...

15k mmmmmmm not road legal immediately well here goes E36 coupe toyota quad cam, manual, e34 lsd, full nascar style cage.awesome skids especially if you use 2uz 4.6 litre add a couple of garretts- huff and puff some serious boost maybe even some giggle for the suicide pilot....... or 2uz T88 turbo quad cam ford c4 auto hilux diff with 4 bars serios cage and run sub 10s with ability to run into the 8s

dont forget the fact you'll get some change probably enough to buy some spare undies and a dinner for the mrs never mind possibly build both for around the 20k mark

Interesting thread... This is what I'm currently contemplating once I've sold the E36.

I'm looking for a 96/97 Integra Type R, can pick up a pretty tidy one for around $12K-13K at the moment. Put it on one hell of a diet - remove all interior, do I/H/E and install a VAFC computer with a full dyno tune, and do some suspension work - most likely Neuspeed race springs and eventually Bilstein shocks. Fun times for a bit of dragging but more importantly track days.

simple, R32 gtr, 11k uncomplied with exhaust, filter, adjustables, spend 4k on aftermaket suspension stiffening e.g sway and strut bars and a decent set of brake pads and fluid.

Guest Spargo

E30 325i turbo, gutted and caged. single seat, low, no kit, 15x9 w/ race rubber.

track car only, buy an E30 M3 ex Japan, you will land one for $10-$12K from what I have seen. Sell interior and any other bits you don't need. Couple of cheap race seats and a cage, what more do you need? Or a 944 Turbo, they are getting cheap now, handle really well and go like stink.

2 door e30 gutted, fresh toymota 4litre quadcam , supercharged running about

10lbs,w55 5speed, big 2.93 lsd diff, full works brakes,and ajustable suspention,

full alloy cage.

15"9.5 mags and some decent track tyres. fun fun fun! reliable, and cheap to!