Sign in to follow this  
WarlockNZ

Sound Tech Needed

Guy's .. and yes Girls .. i need the services of a sound tech, someone who installs car audio or knows what they are talking about.

Here's the story...

I'm installing a car computer and i doubt that the standard headphone output will power the cars speakers ..

What i need is a couple of hours of your time to sit down and discuss the whole project, what can be done, what can't be done, do i need an amp ... well duh .. and what amp would be best suited to the job .. noise reduction .. etc .. you get the idea.

So ... can you help me out ?? ..

You would be involved in one of the coolest car computer projects out there, i'll supply the beers and maybe the smoke (ah ha), i don't need you to do any work, although if you have a vision, we can talk about me paying you for the install... just give me your advice, this is a project that needs to be done right, who knows maybe we could on-sell the idea.

any takers??

An A/V setup with the PC or Mac as the source unit?

Not that hard...... ^_^

You will probably need a Good Head Unit with RCA outputs and inputs, your headdeck will need an Auxillary fuction.

Plug a headphone to RCA cable into the headphone jack on the PC and into the RCA input on the headunit. You can then play music formats through the headunit into the cars speaker using AUX function.

You may need a power inverter to power the PC unless you will be using its battery power.

If you wish to have a DVD function and add extra screens you will need to use the screen output on the pc and plug that into any extra screen, then use the PC to play DVDs etc.

This is hard to explain but i hope you can make out what im talking about.

I would be happy to help for some beers :beer:

:thumb:

Edited by sakdbma

thanks for the replys guy's .. but i think you misunderstand me.

Allow my to clarify ..

Yeah ... i'm talking about a PC in a car. :mosh:

I'm ripping out the head unit and replacing it with this

here .. this will link to a laptop mounted on a docking station, where the cd changer is now (in the boot).

I'll be plugging a usb radio tuner and gps unit into the docking station, i'll be including wireless as well ..

power inverter .. oh hell yeah ... just need to source that ... know any places in NZ?? .. oh and a sparky to wire it all up .. lol

My issue is that, because i'm ripping out the entire sound system, i need some advice on how to hook the PC up .. it's hard to explain..

Look at it his way ... think car.. with no sounds .. drop a touch screen monitor into the dash and a pc into the boot ... hook up the speakers and go .. problem ... noise (from lack of sheilding and serious lack of DB ouput from the PC) and me me being a complete novice when it comes to car audio .. i know about computers but i'm going to need some help to tie the two together.

I've plugged my MP3 player into head units before, but that's not what i'm trying to do here ... this will be a complete system, based around a laptop.

Hope this helps ... and please .. keep the advice coming .. i'll be posting photos and progress reports as i go, so if anyone else wants to do the same kind of thing .. you can learn from my mistakes. and i'll be able to offer my help :)

:banghead:

Edited by WarlockNZ

Two options - install a headunit aswell as per sakd's advice. (which is what I'd probably do as sound quality would probably be better.

OR

Buy an amp with "line level" inputs, then you can run wires from the headphone jack in the PC to the amp as line level inputs will accept this (headphone jack on one end, bare wires on the other) then the amp powers sub and speakers from there - easy.

Go down to a reputed car audio shop - they'll talk over your system with you for free and give you an idea of cost, then its up to you whether you get them to do it or do it yourself.