Sign in to follow this  
SRBMW

Ratio Swapping.LSDs

Okay I dont know if this topic should be in here or not so mods move it to where you think it should be!

Right I've notice a couple of people have been asking about changing ratios around in LSD's.

What I did was bought a medium case LSD think it had 3.64 in it and bought a 4.27 open diff and had the centre swapped over at Steelie Gears.

Now I rang Tony this morning at steelie gears and told him about how this is a problem (backlash ,preload etc)and could he do us guys a good price.

He said if we can supply side seals for the diff it would make the job cheaper and also depends on the components you are supplying etc!

I also had my lsd double loaded when it was out there which makes the car alot easier to flick around saves three point turns!

So if your actually serious and want to get the ratio change(Don't f##k him around cos it'l wreck it for the rest of us)take your diffs out there and get him to sort it.Tell him your from bimmersport and your mate Darren rang and spoke to you about getting ratios swapped in bmw diffs

Steelie Gears 3/32 Salesyard rd Otahuhu

Tony 2766297

PS:I have a few LSD's coming my way so if any bodys looking for them let me know

Also thought since people are swaping ratios around maybe we should have a log of what ratios people have spare cos this might help someone else out.

Edited by SRBMW

Was your 4.27 small case?

Cost roughly?

Reading!! geez andrew!!!

Medium

Guest Andrew

no he said he had a 3.64 medium and a 4.27 open - i didn't know you could get 4.27 mediums.

That is a valid question Andrew .I did originaly have a 4.27 "small" case diff behind the m10 motor but the open diff I got the 4.27 ratio out of was a medium case diff which I found, that apparently you can't get,Rare as rocking horse sh*t!

Price was aprroximitly $180-300 but it depends on what you give him(condition wise) But what I was hoping is if we start sending more guys in there with the diffs then the price may come down.

I also recommend running redline oil in the lsds.It's expensive but helps with the lock up.

...medium case LSD think it had 3.64 in it and bought a 4.27 open diff and had the centre swapped over...

kinda says/implies they are the same size!?!?!

The 4.27 comes in +89 auto Jap import E32 730's & 735's, case is of no use but if you are swapping centres anyway.

I have just pulled a 4.27 open medium-case diff out of a pre-f/l 318 (1987 vintage)and put a 3.64 lsd into it. Must admit, I have not come across this ratio before.

Guest Andrew

I have just pulled a 4.27 open medium-case diff out of a pre-f/l 318 (1987 vintage)and put a 3.64 lsd into it. Must admit, I have not come across this ratio before.

do you still have the 4.27 med?

Execellent! was just heading down this path with mine have all the bits just need it putback together with correct preloads etc.

3.91 LSD yehaa.

Will have spare 2.93 open (med case) maybe suit E28

cheers Matt

Edited by MattA