Sign in to follow this  
Brad1138

M60 V8 help

Hey,

Ive been talking to BMW about suggested preventative maintenance on the e34 540i. Im almost at about 230,000km and the tech said that 2 things should be done. First the oil pick up in the sump is prone to breaking and it should be fixed immediatley as if it does break the engine will sieze. Second the head bolts should be replaced because they often break in half and end up in the cams and bugger the entire top end. Out of experience should these be done? Are there other problems i should be looking for? Thanks (pics of the car should be up today)

havent heard about the head bolts but have heard that the bolts holding the oil pump come loose...

valve cover gaskets can leak oil down into the valley/coil/spark plugs causing problems

pcv valve(hows the idle?)

make sure the cooling system is up to scratch

do you have a "shimmy" at about 90 km/hr or clunk from front end over bumps? Thrust arm bushings either e34 m5 or e32 750i bushings seem to last better than std e34 ones

Cheers guys, also for you e34 owners my fan isnt blowing that hard, it goes cold and hot and air con works. The fan just physically doesnt blow hard. What would be a likely reason?

Ive just puts some 18" Beyern Mesh Style Rims on it and my next upgrades are to exhuast and suspension. Im on a resonable budget what can i do to make it sound and look a bit better in these departments.

Thanks again,

Brad

Ultra Tuff Mufflers

Address: Totara St Mt Maunganui

Phone number: 0-7-575 9999

See this guy in the Mount. He quoted me less than $400 to make me a new rear muffler.

He does the high performance mufflers for Retro products.

Always has Classic cars in there too.

Cheers guys, also for you e34 owners my fan isnt blowing that hard, it goes cold and hot and air con works. The fan just physically doesnt blow hard. What would be a likely reason?

Not sure if there's a carbon filter for the aircon in e34, might wanna double check?

never heard of those probs on a m60 any way 230 esay k's is not that high . ring ernst at baverian motors . only prob is trans packing up .

you should buy my non compliant 530i v8 for spares $3k

the blower problem could be the pollen filter is blocked.